The lid is stuck shut

Good evening everyone. I need help. the lid to my glowforge is stuck shut. I just received my new glowforge two days ago.

Get someone to help you to gently lift the ends on either side about a half an inch off the table, then set it back down again…the case might be slightly twisted, and the lid can stick when that happens.

You might need to shim the case underneath (with a few post-it notes) to get that level, so that the lid doesn’t stick.

5 Likes

Thank you very much but this may sound silly. Can you show me what case you are referring to that’s on the glowforge?

1 Like

Not silly. @Jules is referring to the entire body of the Glowforge. It has flex. See if the Glowforge is level. If not, lift individual corners to see if one needs to be elevated slightly to get the Glowforge level.

5 Likes

Thank you

Hello @ivoryscreativecollec

Adding a shim to help level out the printer is a great recommendation.

Before adding a shim, I’d like to check your printer for any damage.

Could you please send me the following photos?

1. Open the lid to the point where it will stay open and take a photo from the side like this:

2. Gently close the lid as far as it will go without forcing it and take a photo along the back edge:

3. ​Take a photo which shows the whole printer and the surface it’s resting on:

Once I get these pictures, I’ll follow up with the next steps.

2 Likes

Good morning. How are you? Here are the pictures you asked for. At the moment I am unable to open the lid to my glowforge.

Thanks for those photos. The good news is that this is something you can resolve quickly. Each Glowforge unit is tested on a flat surface. Many tables are not perfectly flat, which can create some friction when the lid closes. When you have a printer lid that is misaligned, the next step is to insert a spacer - for example a folded sheet of paper - under the center of the printer. This helps fill a very small gap between the foot of the printer and the table. Once the body of the printer is fully supported, the lid will close with better alignment.

Could you please try the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge

2. Take a single piece of paper and fold it 4 times. It will look approximately like this:

3. Look under the side of your Glowforge, there are two long feet with black rubber pads that run the length of the unit

4. Carefully lift the printer and place the shim in the center under the front rubber foot

5. Test the alignment of the lid. If the alignment is not satisfactory, move the shim and try again.

6. It may require some experimentation, including more or less paper, to find the arrangement with the least friction when it closes.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I will.

Great! Please let me know how it goes and if the lid is still stuck after trying the shim.

Yes it worked.

2 Likes

Good morning. The lid opens now. Thank you very much everyone.

Thank you for the update. It’s great to hear that your lid is working correctly now! I’ll go ahead and close this topic. If you run into trouble again, or have any questions for our team, please either email us at support@glowforge.com or start a new thread here on the forum and we’ll be happy to help.