The new ai

Anyone notice you are limited to what you can do with an image developed in ai? i am doing art work on a pre stained piece and thought i’d give it a try. typed in Mountains. Thought i’d get some pretty good pictures or drawing of snow capped mountains.AND I got a few. I choose one and then I really needed to score it into the scene. NOPE can’t do that. So no mountain scene in ai… come on GF.

1 Like

The ai images are not vector files, so they cannot be scored. You can export the file and manipulate as you must for any raster file. This really is not something to criticize Glowforge for as the purpose of the new ai is different than just getting clip art.

10 Likes

You can “fake score” the image by choosing a value like 35 or 50 for lines per inch for the engraving. You might need larger or smaller numbers for the effect you want. Experiment.

This isn’t a failure of the AI.

7 Likes

Was there a reason it had to be score and not engrave? Not sure why you’re griping at GF for this ‘failure’?

3 Likes

An AI that can create vector images would be awesome. A vector image is easier to animate; combine it with a chat AI to write script. Maybe Adobe is working on it?

Sure, it would be one step closer to the inevitable robot apocalypse, but it’s inevitable, so enjoy the journey.

In the meantime, while it won’t do vector, there are at least two AI image generators out there you can sign up for that are free in case you don’t like what glowforge is giving you.

3 Likes

If vector generation is what you’re after then Midjourney isn’t where you should be looking. The CEO recently said that they’re much more focused on making text to 3d models than they are on shifting to vector.

2 Likes

I guess it depends on what is meant by 3D model. Do they mean a .dxf or a bitmap with perspective?

They mean a 3d model, not a bitmap. Not sure what file format they’d support.

Something like this:

1 Like

Back in the day, everyone thought that automation would free us up from doing all the boring, mind-numbing stuff and let us focus on our creative passions. But here we are, stuck with the same ol’ boring jobs while robots and AI are doing all the cool stuff. I mean, have you heard some of the music that AI can create? Or seen some of the art? It’s pretty wild. It’s cool that tech is advancing and all, but it also makes you wonder - what’s going to happen to us humans in the long run?

3 Likes

I don’t think we are creeps for responding. The simple truth is that images are generated by the ai software and images can only be engraved because they are rasters. I don’t think Glowforge promised anything other than what they delivered. There are plenty of vectors in the add art function of the interface using the + sign.

4 Likes

what @dklgood said. AFAIK, there are no AI art generators out there cranking out vector files. seems a little picky to say, “come on, GF” when they don’t give you something nobody else can do yet.

2 Likes

No attack, gave you an option to get what you wanted.

I think GF failed to set expectations properly.

2 Likes

The folks who replied to you were being constructive. You are just being rude.

4 Likes

The Luddites weren’t wrong, they were just wildly optimistic in their timeline. Personally, I’m hoping they treat us like Leona Helmsley treated her dog.

2 Likes

Nice. Name-calling is definitely the best approach here. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

4 Likes

@abishai2 you might be interested in this, a project to do text to svg:

https://ajayj.com/vectorfusion

3 Likes