The Obligatory Escutcheon

Awesome! Sounds like a good way to learn to use one! ( will go look)

Thanks!:grinning:

Although it is already the name of my Airport Time Capsule (wireless router and backup drive) I might have to call my Glowforge the Pandorica. I have a feeling I will lose all track of time playing with it.

14 Likes

This is what I plan to make for mine.

My drawing simplifies the design a bit, but I think it will still be sufficiently creepy. :wink:

35 Likes

Oh, I forgot to mention that we used glow-in-the-dark vinyl.

39 Likes

Love love love love

1 Like

marmil: (Puts a sheet of PVC on the bed)
GF: I’m afraid I can’t cut that…

12 Likes

Heck yes that’s awesome

I’ve been pondering a wall plate along these lines. A bit of red acrylic over the button will be awesome. Still trying to figure out scoring that backside to emulate the deep lens distortion created for the film.

1 Like

My version! Still learning how to convert images for etching. This one could use some cleanup.

49 Likes

Just showed this to the family. Everyone loves it!

1 Like

I threw my gauntlet in this ring. Here’s a very imperfect first attempt.

My cut didn’t go all the way through on the inner circle, so I got a bit forceful. I was also just doing an outline circle by eye, and went a scosh large. I’ll re-input manual settings a bit stronger.

28 Likes

Love it! :sunglasses:

Cool. You should think about just cutting the outline rather than a big circle. That would look epic!

4 Likes

I agree. I expected that and was surprised to see the outline of the larger circle.

Add some color and it’ll really pop :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only have inkscape and Photoshop cs3 at my disposal, and I can’t exactly say I am a master at inkscape yet. I figure I could make a bunch of circle shapes and rectangles to join and have an outside shape, but that is tedious and last night I simply didn’t have time. I also quickly attempted the trace bitmap function and do offset, but that was a mess too.

How would you do an outline cut?

In Inkscape I use the trace bitmap and check the ‘Remove background’ option.
@mpipes is a wizard in Inkscape (in my perception), he has really helped me break through a few walls I was up against.

beautiful! :slightly_smiling_face:

For something like this, it would be easier and faster to manually draw a Bezier curve around it, than using the Offset command and having to clean up that result. I did a quick run-through here. I start off by just setting points at very well-defined features of the artwork, then while still in the Bezier curve command, you can click on the straight line segments and drag them, they become curves. Then when you select individual points, you get those little control lines you can grab and fine tune the curves. Double clicking on the curves will add more points so you can refine further.

34 Likes

Since your help, I have had fun dancing with that tool. When you can suddenly make sh#8 happen the way you want it becomes much more enjoyable!

5 Likes

You are my people!!!

1 Like