The Renovation Saga - Weekend #1

With that much yellow it should be visible from Google earth.

9 Likes

The Netherlands is quite beautiful but awfully wet I grew up there for (4) years between 1990 - 1994 living in DeBuilt and SoesterBerg and used to frequent the Swimbaud there in Ziest quite often one of the only times I got to dive off a platform.

2 Likes

On of my parishioners goes to NL frequently for business. She has been getting me Dutch licorice. It is absolutely the most amazing stuff. So many varieties.

2 Likes

I visited Amsterdam for a week when I was 17, but I had very little money so I mostly just walked around and enjoyed getting lost.
I did get invited to go wakeboarding on a raised waterway next to a low road… it was strange to be playing in the water above traffic.

2 Likes

Yeah bet that was a fun experience a couple of things I learned real quick living there was 1) Learn the bus/train routes as you can literally travel the country by the two means of transportation and 2) don’t stand/walk in the foot path (Bike Path).

i…do not like the salted kinds.

Drop! Some of it is quite salty and a bit of an acquired taste.

Used to drive down the highway and look up the grassy slope next to us to see a barge going by up there😊

Indonesian restaurants everywhere, and around Sinterklaas (Dec. 6) you can find more kinds of sculpted marzipan than you would believe.

1 Like

Yeah but here stateside I have a feeling some people will have issues with the Zwarte Piet who assist Sinterklaas even if it is part of their culture over there besides who couldn’t use a pair of wooden clogs and some young gouda cheese. Now there is the Van Gogh Museum and the Anne Frank house there too if you want to see some art and a bit of WWII history and just down the street from the Anne Frank house was a delft factory too.

Some more photos from the past week!

Tonight I install electrical and plumbing for the new hot water heater and washer/dryer. Tomorrow I patch the walls and ideally install the hot water heater. Sunday I think we paint the closet and install tile under the “wet” areas.

21 Likes

Not as much progress this past weekend as I would have liked. I posted on Friday that I was going to do the plumbing and electrical Friday night. Instead I spent a good portion of the evening at Home Depot and didn’t really get much done aside from getting my path to the breaker box cut out. Saturday I essentially got the electric lines installed, but not hooked up. I did replace the old dryer outlet with a more current option.

So yesterday morning I start the hook up the electric and realized that I got the wrong breakers! I decided to go ahead and pick up the drywall supplies while I was at Home Depot, so that turned into a 2 hour trip. Anyway got the electric installed and then moved on to the plumbing. It all went fairly well until the very last weld. It just wouldn’t get hot enough to melt the solder. I finally realized the problem.

There was water in the pipe, just under the weld-point, and as it got hotter and hotter with the applied heat, that water started to boil. At one point it was boiling out of the open end… which was above me. I gave it some time to cool and realized that the issue was the same principle as a double boiler. The material around the water can’t get hotter than the water (by much) because the water itself is sucking the energy away. I realized that maybe I could drop the water level in the line, so I opened up all of the faucets… but then realized that all of those were above my weld-line, so that wouldn’t actually do anything. I finally went outside and opened up the hose valve, and water started to trickle out. I went back in and welded that last weld… finally.

After that I took my niece to see Transformers. Say what you want, but so long as you go into the movie knowing what you are getting, then there’s no disappointment. It’s a Transformers movie… and as far as Transformers movies go, it was pretty good. I was entertained and it held both of our attentions such that we didn’t even really notice the 2.5 hour run time.

Here’s the breaker box and the slot in the wall for the 3 3#8 cables that this crazy water heater needs. 3-40amp 2-pole circuits. Yeesh. I hope the circuit that the GF will be on is beefy enough… because I only have a single slot left open in this box!

The other end of the electric line. You can see the black marks on the studs showing the bottom of where the hot water heater will be mounted.

And finally all the plumbing completed. The cold water sources from below the “T” in the lower right, hot water distributes to the rest of the house from there as well.

And here’s a bonus of all the closets and shelves that I get to build that were delivered yesterday!

Yay Ikea.

14 Likes

Sometimes using a Mapp torch instead of a propane torch will let you sweat joints with water in the line - it heats a lot hotter than propane so it can superheat the water (as long as the pipe isn’t completely full). They’re yellow canisters instead of the blue that propane is. You’ll need a different torch head. Worth using all the time because with a dry fitting it’s faster than propane.

3 Likes

I have soldered countless amounts of copper pipe, when water is present you put white bread into the water pipe, make the solder connection and that toasts the bread, turn the water on and it will dissolve the toast. Works every time. Also you don’t use a whole piece of bread just enough to keep the solder joint dry.

5 Likes

Great tip! I’ll have to try it the next time!

1 Like

Sweating the copper pipes in my downstairs went like clockwork, until the last joint. The solder jumps into the seams, but when I turned the water on the last joint had a pinhole.
Damn. Turn the water off and drain the whole house again. Try again with the same result. Took the joint apart and cleaned the fittings thoroughly. Same. #@+&!!.

At least 50 joints and only the last one… That’s when it occurred to me - the air in the system was expanding from the heat, and had nowhere to go, creating a pinhole vent the only place it could.
I opened a faucet and the last joint filled as perfectly as all the others.

Nice work there! Moving right along. :sunglasses:

12 Likes

Oh wow that’s one that would have stumped me for sure

1 Like

It did throw me! I had meticulously cleaned the fittings on each and every joint, and they all were perfect except… it was isolated to the very last one. That was the clue that led me to the answer. :sunglasses:
After I had taken no prisoners on the last one (tore it apart three times) I knew there had to be another answer. "Lemme think… oh yeah, huh."
Physics to the rescue!

4 Likes

My story of soldered copper pipe: I was going to finish a bathroom that had been roughed in by the roughing in crew. I was going to put in the fixtures. The pipes stub outs were all capped and pressure tested. Water was turned off. Didn’t think about the water still in. Stubs were too short to cut off so I went to sweat the caps off. The cap just wouldn’t come off. Good thing I was kneeling down on one knee at an angle and not sitting there looking at it. When it finally gave way super heated water shot out of the pipe and sprayed my shin.Was wearing shorts. Ouch. Pretty bad burn. Healed well, no infection. Had the silver ointment for it and I kept it clean. Now I learned. Drill a hole in the stub cap first to release water and pressure. Rookie mistake. This wasn’t a paying job, but doing work for a church camp.

8 Likes

Ouch! That’s a hard lesson to learn.

I figured early on that when dealing with a water system you probably don’t want it to hold a vacuum or to be under pressure when you open it up.

I wanted plastic inserts for the hot water heater and washer/dryer valves. Sadly at either Home Depot or Lowes, the only way to get them was to buy a kit with all the valves. I didn’t want those valves, or to pay that much for a kit. I finally looked on Amazon and found just the box, so I ordered 2. They came in last night and I learned… pipe fittings kind of need to go on after the box. Also, the box needs to go in before drywall.

Thankfully I wanted to take the drywall down anyway, and I hadn’t finished over the screws… and thankfully I used screws in the first place. (I cut the dryway in reverse and had to install it brown-side-out - I was going to deal with it, but now I’ll just cut a new piece).

So now everything is re-done with the plastic boxes in place, and it is just a few more steps to being able to hang the hot water heater. Finish copper - I think I have to put in one more bend, thankfully it’s on the hot side, so I don’t have to shut the water off again; cut and hang drywall, finish drywall, prime/paint drywall, then hang the water heater. This is a LOT of work just to swap out for a tankless hot water heater @martinell.jan!

5 Likes

I had a couple of these issues. Thankfully no burns received, but I still fret on the connections I sweat in not knowing it I got them right… 4 years should be enough time to prove that they are good, right? :thinking:

3 Likes

Ummm…don’t you have a laser? :slight_smile: A little acyrlic, Weld-on and some patience - cut the hole behind the valves in the drywall, insert & glue the parts to make a box in place from pieces you cut on the GF.