The trials of a noob: Uranus Shadowboxes

Well it depends on what you are trying to do. My comment was just about engraving fonts. You don’t need to do anything special there. It is possible that you can do cut paths if you change the font from fill to stroke but I haven’t tried that.

Now in context of your original post (it was early when I posted). If you are trying to cut and bridge text then you will need to convert to outlines. As somebody already posted you can do that directly in AI.

Then you will need to add your bridge pieces and merge the bridges with the letters. While you can stack objects in AI and have them print out on paper just fine the GF interprets each pieces as its own object. So if you cut a hole in a shape by placing a white circle over it the GF won’t handle it as you expect. In this case you need to punch that hole out of the object.

I hope that makes some sense. While it is no longer early it has been one of those days. :wink:

1 Like

Ha, thank you!
Seems pretty clear: convert text to outline, build bridges and then merge all layers.
I’ll give that a shot on my next go. I think I had attempted some merging, but likely didn’t do the right command. I’ve spent my whole life in Photoshop, so starting out as a noob in illustrator as well.

1 Like

Well you can definitely do it like your OP. In PS rasterize your fonts then add your bridges. Move to AI and auto trace the result.

Figuring out how to do all that in AI will likely result in cleaner files as you will be skipping the raster step.

My explanations are about Inkscape but all are similar with a few quirks each, however, I am mostly Gimp-Inkscape-Blender fan with a few others like Autocad, Artcam, 3d Max tossed in but not AI.

1 Like

Hmm, I know I’ve posted some pictures and descriptions about merging objects in AI but I sure can’t find them now.

OK, I’ve been trying to ignore our little Uranus subthread as the OP and others are going about the thread intelligently discussing real, useful laser stuff. But nope, I can’t do it. I have all the serious stuff I can deal with right now so all I gotta say is asteroids make for an angry Uranus and that aint pretty at all.

I sincerely apologize to the OP for our juvenile Uranus shenanigans. :laughing::rofl:

7 Likes

At least you haven’t trotted out the ‘There are Klingons around Uranus’ line.

3 Likes

Well now that’s just a dirty situation right there :rofl:

2 Likes

I work closely to Uranus every day, so it’s easy for me to forget just how magical it can be. Thank you for the reminder to take a step back, gaze upon it and remember just how small little GFUI issues can be, when compared to the absolute enormity of things like Uranus.

3 Likes

I suppose it could be worse. You could potentially be posting from Mianus.

3 Likes

Nice to know you have my back! :sunglasses: