There Is a Light - Smith's Candle Box

38 Likes

This came together. Oak ply and velum. I am surprised they are selling well. Now I have to figure out how to ship them. Suggestions? It’s about 5.5" tall.

1 Like

Make a box.
Sounds lame but it worked for me on a few delicate things that needed shipping.
Leave some slack for bubble wrap, file down any sharp corners on outside edges, and good to go.
Stiff cardboard could also be used I imagine, but I had none…

3 Likes

Cool lantern!
I with a nice friction fit they could be mailed flat pack, but then the customer would have to avoid breaking what looks like could be fragile during assembly.
Although I really like the look and diffusion of the velum, a solution could be frosted acrylic that would allow the wood panels to be glued to the acrylic giving a strong support to fragile cuts.
The savings in shipping a small flat padded mailer might offset the added cost of the acrylic.

6 Likes

Looks great! Do a heavy cardboard sleeve around it. It doesn’t actually have to be a box, but you want something around it to protect the vellum.

1 Like

I love your choice of using words to decorate the votive holder. Looks great!

1 Like

Aaaand another project added to my ever expanding list of things to try. This came out really great, good work!

I’d agree with this, the construction seems simple enough. You could even include a small instruction diagram on how to assemble. Constructing your own box for something like this wouldn’t be too hard either, but if you’re making a decent amount of them, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to find boxes that you could ship with a flat rate service.

4 Likes

Very unique! I also like the idea of acrylic to replace the vellum.

1 Like

Very nice job !!! One thing if shipping , if including a sleeve around the bubblewrap, try and make it stiff/crushproof. I have sent items that were wrapped great for any shaking or dropping, but one good “crush” and it torques it out of shape or cracks it. They love to crush those boxes sometimes. (Maybe a removable square-like lid that will keep the square shape (ifit gets squeezed on the diagonal)

1 Like

I am shipping across distances as a flat pack. I am shipping a small but of wood glue, instructions and a small cheap paintbrush. Building a box for the box isn’t going to scale.

3 Likes