Thingiverse data breach

14 Likes

Thanks for the warning!

1 Like

Ha! I knew I hadn’t used Thingiverse for awhile, but my email was from like, 10 years ago :sweat_smile::joy_cat:

2 Likes

Huh. I use a unique password for each site so I’m not terribly concerned, but boy this gets old. Thanks for the heads up!

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up Mike!

1 Like

The first time I got on the Internet was through AOL in April 1997. At the time AOL—- had all of these different types of chat rooms. There was one chat room dedicated to being safe on the Internet.

The best post I have ever read —-in the entire time I have been on the Internet—- Use a different password for every account!!”

Since technology is not to be trusted— I also have a little black address book that stays in the safe and gets updated almost every single week with a new password for a different business or I am changing passwords.

I have been online since CompuServe. usually referred to as Compu$erve. for the fact that they charged you by the hour and by the BYTE.

I knew a woman that had a file on her computer with her passwords. she would copy/paste them in.

so that a keylogger would never pick up her typing it in.

got to meet some interesting folks. I was a SYSOP on the Investor’s Forum for a couple years.

7 Likes

Man that is very old-school of you :wink::jack_o_lantern:

I use the freeoffline version of the software KeeWeb, and also use it on my Android phone and tablet so it is easy to have on master password that gives me access to all of my usernames and passwords.

One thing to note about software is to have a human backup that knows your password in case you suddenly kick the bucket.

Another very useful detail is the security questions. If you have real answers to those questions, you can be socially engineered to tell them to people, such as What job did your mother have? Or what is your dog’s name? :wink: I also use fake answers or password gibberish for those.

One more, is that if you need a password that you can remember and can type easily, use a phrase. The longer the harder to hack. So something like Glowforge is the bees knees! would take 1 UNDECILLION YEARS for a computer to crack :joy_cat:

5 Likes

I bet you know now that keyloggers can copy the clipboard app that is used to copy/paste with :wink::sweat_smile:

1 Like

I wrote an Android app to keep my passwords and other things in an encrypted database. once i saw that the ones offered in the playstore needed internet access. LOL ya right.

it creates a backup in a JPG file that can be emailed off the phone on the fly. so if you are in a situation where you’re like Hmmm my phone might be at risk. backup and email. good to go.

if anybody would want to try it I can send the APK.

though if you mess up and forget your password. well that’s a problem. the password creates the encryption key.

buddy of mine was trying it out. the early version would return the password when looking at the list. so he realized he typed something wrong. so he changed the password. OOPS. he had to reinstall. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OH NOES! my 3D DND dice is now ‘out there’

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.