"this contains a pattern" please help!

Okay one other question…are you wanting to cut this out? It’s set up to engrave now…each of those lines consists of a fill color with no stroke, which is usually the result from Expanding a “coloring book” image using an auto-trace.

I just need to know if you want to cut the parts or engrave them now though.

okay, I opened it with a page and it’s freaking HUGE. I’m having trouble getting it down to size. I see why having a page is important!! hopefully i can get it fixed. most of this is being cut out. oh crap… I wanted to engrave the silhouette, which is why it was filled with black, and the parts around it were being cut out and the green line was being scored. does that make sense? but since i took the black out of the silhouette I can’t engrave that now can I? uggh. what to do.

1 Like

Yes. It’s funky. But don’t worry, we’ll get you there. It has all that you need on it.

Do you want a silohette of the figures engraved or do you want them cut out? Easy enough to do either.

Okay…hang on…the huge file size is why it is hanging up and it’s locking up Illustrator. I’ll try to mess with it and see if I can unlock it. There’s also some junk lines left over…did you do an auto-trace?

@marmak3261 do you want to handle this one in Inkscape so you can give the steps for that program?

Yes, I am almost done.

All the shapes had giant stroke definitions. There were lots of vectors with no stroke defined too. Then, the lines inside for the silhouette were filled so they would have only engraved.

Excellent! I’ll defer to your expertise. :wink:

Hey Marion, @craftracoons hit the posting limitation for new users - i think you can work in a Private Message. (Don’t think those have limits.)

2 Likes

Ok. I’ll message her with the file.

2 Likes

I can well imagine the frustration index climbing to new heights.
Just about the time you have an answer, you get slapped away.

Just say nice words to the kids and put them to bed.
Gather of glass with liquid of choice in it.
Go sit out back and listen to the grass grow for a spell.
Works for me, (especially when the cicadas are getting laid. Then you can try to guess which tree they will hop to next as they get closer and your worry evaporates with the effort).

I ran into that pattern issue a while back and did not want to engrave the design, So I kicked out a image and brought it back in and used trace to bring it back to vectors again and poked out the eyes of the pattern and image (freezing them) leaving only the vector visible

Just to let everyone know, @marmak3261 got the file fixed up in a Private Message. So all is copacetic.

7 Likes

Just wanted to thank you guys for helping me. I just about lost my mind when I almost had it and then you were gone!! LOL. can you tell me what you do to see all the stray lines in a file? I hate it when my file looks perfect and then I go to cut it and here’s a rectangle just showing up out of nowhere!!

Did you see the files that @marmak3261 put into the Private Message for you?

Here’s how you get back to it…

Click on your avatar in the upper right hand of the screen.

Then click on the little envelope to get a listing of your Private Messages.

Then click on the Message that you created labeled “Hi Can You Finish Helping Me via This?”

He put the files into that Private Thread. (Just want to make sure you saw them.)

I find stray lines in Illustrator by just selecting everything and going to Outline Viewing mode. You can change that in Inkscape as well in the View > Display Mode palette.

1 Like

I did get it! I was so thankful and it printed well. now I just need to learn how to make slot and tab things on inkscape. I’m taking an online course but I’m only on lesson 5 so I barely know how to do anything. I have so many ideas I need to get my skills up to par to make them happen.

2 Likes

Isn’t it lucky that you found the best forum on the whole internet, then? :slight_smile:

I’m sorry for the trouble you had - but I’m so glad to see it came together! I hope you share a picture of the results when it’s done.

12 Likes

Unless I’m mistaken (and please correct me if I am @craftracoons), this is the piece:

Not much for some of you I know, but this took me hours and I'm proud!

1 Like

actually no, but I spent hours on that sucker. the piece i was having so much trouble with the pattern wasn’t even a pattern. It was a silhouette, but gfui was seeing it as a pattern and I couldn’t figure out what to do about it. mind you, that was only one of the many problems with the file. LOL. but yes, I’ve found the bessssst forum ever!! and people were quick to help. Im still tweaking the final project, but when I’m done I’ll post. It’s just an ornament. I know that it is something you all could make in seconds but I’m far from there yet!

4 Likes

My bad haha. The timing of this thread and that other one made me think they were related :sweat_smile:

It’s because I asked for help on everything at the same time. LOL

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.