This guy has all the good toys

Now I want a sandblaster.

15 Likes

The ultimate way to weed!
I was thinking the oven and perhaps spray booth.

Yeah I think his oven is a hot smoker? Made me wonder how hot powder coating needs to get. I thought about googling but decided “no Dave, you aren’t getting into powder coating.” :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I was thinking bending Acrylic also.

2 Likes

But then I would need to travel to Miami get a mess of Trema and actually use it for smoking stuff.

I built my powder oven from an electric smoker. It runs on 110V. Powder coating needs to be about 400F. A bit less if it’s a second color (like clear over color) and a bit more for some colors. I don’t use the racks - drilled a hole in the top and bolted in a swivel & snap hook so I can hang parts in there. Since I’m in New England I also wrapped it in insulation batts to keep it from losing heat too fast in the winter.

I built my powder spray booth out of a chrome 4 shelf rack from Home Depot - I attach the gun’s grounding clamp to the rack. The shelves are spaced vertically so there’s the same space as in the oven. I wrapped the rack in canvas to contain powder overspray & put it on wheels so it tucks away when not being used.

First you need a plasma cutter & blast cabinet :grin:

9 Likes

Speaking of someone who has all the toys…

8 Likes

Seriously.

6 Likes

My wife is very tolerant. Keeps me from wasting money on women and drink :grin:

9 Likes

LOL,

My wife is happy because tool money “makes” things. If I sat around watching sports or going out Golfing. tolerance would drop a LOT. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

way to ruin a perfectly good patina :laughing:

6 Likes

How durable is powder coating?

1 Like

Well not with that attitude :joy:

7 Likes

Far more than paint. Powder coating isn’t a paint. It’s a plasticized polymer powder that is electrostatically attached to something (usually) metal by charging the metal (kind of like toner in a laser printer). The part is then baked in a 400F oven for 15minutes. The powder melts and flows into the part and bonds to every microscopic nook & cranny.

3 Likes

Yeah but I have a hard time finding those microscopic books. They just don’t seem to sell them around here.

5 Likes

You could make some.

9 Likes

Yeah, Barnes & Noble electronicized them and even added glo-lights for the visually challenged. :slight_smile:

I was wondering about hat it would take to have a ceramic powder baked in though I realized it would have to be over 1000-degrees for even low temp to happen. on the other hand, if might work if ceramic powder was added to the polymers.

That video was very soothing. No talking, no music, just pure awesome

2 Likes

I got it from here

3 Likes