This is MA GF users signing off

NOAA does actually state that a ‘bomb cyclone’ is created by the process of bombogenesis.

6 Likes

Cool. Although, it should be a Bomb Hurricane since it’s in the Atlantic (cylcones are in the south Pacific). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Stay safe and warm all of you!

Don’t want to dive too deep here, but cyclone is the correct term for this phenomena even in the Northern latitudes.

Hurricanes, typhoons, and (the “other”) cyclones are all regional terms for the same phenomena – tropical cyclones driven by heat differentials over warm water.

3 Likes

My brother’s in CT. A couple hours ago he said “We’re getting assaulted. I estimate 6 to 8 inches already, but it’s hard to tell with the blowing.”

Stopped snowing here in Reading, so I don’t think you’re in for much more.

1 Like

We’re only expecting 3 inches here, but there’s already a foot of snow at my house in NJ.

1 Like

TLDR:

The only difference between a hurricane, a cyclone, and a typhoon is the location where the storm occurs.

In the Atlantic and Northeast Pacific, the term “hurricane” is used…and “cyclones” occur in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

All true referring to tropical cyclones. Bombogenesis occurs in extratropical cyclones (mid- and high-latitude cyclonic systems.

No matter – “Bomb Hurricane” is close enuf.

1 Like

Good luck with the snowpocalypse.

Just use the GF to melt the snowflakes as they are falling. I mean, that’s why you get a laser, right?

2 Likes

No, man… You’ve got it all wrong. Use the vent hose as a snow blower! Put the 'forge on a wagon, long extension cord, press the button, clear the snow!

(NOTE: White button may be difficult to see in snowy conditions.)

3 Likes

From the ultimate source of truth and wisdon, the nytimes:

The term dates back to the 1940s, when some meteorologists began informally calling strong storms spawning over oceans “bombs” because they developed “with a ferocity we rarely, if ever, see over land,” Fred Sanders, a former MIT professor, told USA Today in 2005.

Sanders, who died in 2006, brought the explosive term into common usage in a 1980 article in the Monthly Weather Review called “Synoptic Dynamic Climatology of the ‘Bomb.’”

“He was a forecaster in the late 1940s and did a lot of work in forecasting,” John R. Gyakum, who co-authored the paper, said of his late graduate school adviser.

“I have a suspicion that the term was coined well before the paper was published but it has been cited many times and entered the popular lore more nowadays,” said Gyakum, now a professor of synoptic and dynamic meteorology at McGill University in Montreal.

2 Likes

Stay safe and warm fellow forgers! hope you have lots of candles and snacks!

Good news, neighbor used his snowblower to clean off our sidewalk!

Bad news, by the time he was finished, the sidewalk had 1-2 inches again.

3 Likes

This was last year (almost to the day), but it might as well be today.

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FmCGCWtGFJ5hMz_LOPhV2Y0X2oDtVL6z/view?usp=sharing)

3 Likes

Well aren’t you lucky.

I love winter until Jan 2. Then I’m fine with Caribbean like weather.

1 Like

Good luck @henryhbk et al. Here in the Midwest, it’s been crazy cold, but minimal snow. I’m happy to share that my Glowforge has handled the weather beautifully.

The ice on the lake has brought out the fishermen. I really should go out and snowblow the lake for skating.

5 Likes

Well it is still snowing super hard (1-2"/hour) and blowing hard and just came in from snowplowing (2gal of gas this time!) which is a legit 14-18"

1 Like

I remember the days. When I grew up in Hershey, PA, we had a several foot snow. School off and a day of tunneling after we had shoveled it. No snowblower yet.

Is this your snowblower?

7 Likes

My understanding is the term “Bombogenesis” applies when there is a rapid drop of at least 24 millibars in 24 hours.
Stay warm, and go easy shoveling that. At least with the cold it won’t be wet.

1 Like