This is me hitting the panic button!

I have had my Glowforge for a year and a half and it has never once given me an ounce of trouble. I clean it regularly and it has been a faithful and reliable joy in my life since I first set it up.

Until a few days ago.

I turned it on to make a print and nothing happened. Nothing! The lights came on, but that’s about it.

I checked the wi-fi connection and it was non-existent, so I went through the setup process and it took about five or six tries before it connected. Still, however, it wouldn’t work.

It was due for a cleaning and so I carefully went through all the steps to do that. When I was done, I fired it up and it worked beautifully. Whew!

But today, I went to finish the project I started last night and once again, nothing happened when I turned it on. It won’t connect to wi-fi and it won’t center. Other than the lights coming on and the soft whir when it’s first turned on, it does absolutely nothing. I’m completely freaked out. I have run through all of the troubleshooting suggestions. I’ve turned everything off and on again - including the router. Nada. Zip. Zero!

Someone, please help me figure this out and get my machine running again. This is my bread and butter and I have orders waiting to be made.

I do not know if the wi-fi is 2.4 or 5 whatever. There is only one network listed for our wi-fi and so I am assuming it’s 2.4. I honestly think I’m going to be sick. I have submitted a request to support for assistance as well. I’m just hoping that someone can provide some guidance right away.

Thank you, kind Glowforge folks! Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

This is a very popular problem. While you’re waiting for support to get back to you, take a look at some of the other forum threads that mention stuck centering and you can get an idea of the next steps. It could be WiFi, it could be a bad cable, or it could be something exotic.

1 Like

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Just FYI your post in this section is also a request for help.

1 Like

@chris1, I have been reading them. Many do seem to suggest that wifi is the issue, but that seems weird to me. I hope it does turn out to be something simple and easily remedied. I really don’t think I could handle exotic! LOL

If it is the wifi, I’m afraid I am dead in the water. But we’ll see what support comes up with.

@beerfaced, yes, it is a request for help. I have contacted support, but I was hoping that someone here might have a suggestion in the meantime. Is that not appropriate?

It’s absolutely appropriate. I think what @beerfaced was saying was that if no one here does come up with a solution, support can look at your logs and maybe come up with something soon, as well.
I’ve had wi-fi issues that just did not make sense to me, but, sure enough, it turned out to be wi-fi after all.
If you haven’t already done so, reset, or turn off your wifi for a minute or two, turn it back on, and do the same with your computer and GF. Maybe that will kick start it.

2 Likes

@robermar36, Oh! Whew! I was worried that I was breaking the rules. I am kind of desperate.

I did reset the router and I turned the computer and Glowforge off. I even restarted my phone! It just sits there - mocking me.

You might try this.

Here’s how to reset. Please do not turn off your Glowforge until the reset process is complete.

1. Turn on your Glowforge
  2. Open the lid
  3. Press and hold the Glowforge button. The button will glow teal and eventually blink teal
  4. Release the button when it begins to blink teal.
  5. Press and hold the blinking teal button again until the button begins to blink blue.
  6. The button will eventually turn solid green on its own, and your Glowforge will reboot automatically. Please contact us if the button does not turn solid green.
    Green (2)
  7. After your Glowforge reboots, the button should glow solid teal again, and your Glowforge will be in Wi-Fi setup mode. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the on-screen instructions to reconnect your Glowforge to your Wi-Fi network.
3 Likes

@robermar36, thank you! I searched and searched for something like this today.

I’ll let you know if it works!

It didn’t work. The button turned all the right colours and flashed as it was supposed to, but the machine did not reboot and still will not connect to wifi.

It was worth a try, though.

1 Like

Is it possible that one of your neighbors recently set up a network running on the same channel as yours, that is causing interference? You could try changing the WiFi channel in your router to test this.

1 Like

I second this suggestion. neighbors could have added some WIFI gizmos that are now causing you trouble on your current channel.

Hello @yemallaarcanum,

I see that you’ve also emailed us about this issue and I’ve just sent a response to you there. To avoid duplicate communication, I’m going to close this thread and will continue working with you over email.