This is my first submission

So, my wife always wanted an Adirondack chair, but with er bad knees, she would have too much trouble getting up and down in it. Went on Etsy and found a grandpa Adirondack chair. Bought the digital file, converted it into .svg. Then loaded it into my light burn software and dimensioned them according to plan. Then I loaded them into my glowforge and cut out 1/4” thick templates. Cut them down to rough size, used a pattern bit to route to final size and put it together. Still too short for my wife, so redid the front legs 5” longer, added to the back (where the legs come down straight) and now it fits her perfectly.
(Ignore the couple of holes on the front leg that shouldn’t be there)

45 Likes

That’s gorgeous! :slightly_smiling_face:
(Shouldn’t make her sit on the fire pit though, that’s just mean.) :wink:

20 Likes

It’s getting a little chilly here. Besides, it makes her fell like a queen on her throne surveying all she possesses.:blush:

11 Likes

That’s beautiful. I’m definitely envious!

2 Likes

Fantastic!

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s made out of teak. We went estate sailing back in 2011 and this estate had two twin beds, basically a frame with cross boards for the mattress. I got both beds for just $150. Even tho I didn’t have a use for it I bought it and it’s been sitting in my garage since. Today teak is selling for $45 a board foot! Score!

8 Likes

Funny, I just did a set myself. Yours are way nicer.

You did exactly what I keep telling people to do that have a glowy as their only digital tool. Great job!

2 Likes

Talk about sitting in the hot seat!

4 Likes

Happy wife, happy life. Well done.

3 Likes

I ave a cnc, but the pieces would call for tiling and the glow forge does that much better with its pass through. It would be great if they could employ a camera for placement in a cnc? I’d buy that! Maybe dan could branch out…

2 Likes

You are thinking of the Shaper Origin. Great piece of kit with a workflow very similar to the Glowforge.
I’m getting another gantry CNC but I’ll keep the Shaper just for certain use cases.

You’ve got a shaper origin?I’ve been seriously thinking of one. I have no need for one, I am just a toolaholic. And I rationalize it by saying I could do (this) or (that). So tell me, what do you use it for? Do you regret it? Convince me to buy one. Please please please!

4 Likes

My wife & I just had a discussion about this topic. Which requires more partner tolerance - having a million of one thing (shoes) or having one of a million things (tools)? :smiley:

She’s a good sport though - oftentimes I have 2 or 3 of some things because I can’t find the one I know I have until I buy a replacement and break it out of its packaging.

4 Likes

Well since she already has the million shoes (which the majority of never get worn after the first couple of wears) I feel rationalized to get a million tools. Plus nearly every tool I have bought has come to the rescue when I suddenly needed it that one time.

2 Likes

Oh and I have 7 hammers, 8 tape measures, etc etc etc because it is faster to get a new one than find what I have

5 Likes

That’s my compromise. I almost always only buy a new tool when there’s an immediate project I’ll use it on. Then I can rationalize it by thinking about how much I’ve saved by having the tool and not having to hire the job out. And I’ll be in a profit mode if I use it for a 2nd project.

The right tool makes almost everything easier and the results better.

5 Likes

Truer words were never spoken

I just finished redoing a bathroom. Down to the studs and back again. I only had to buy a few new tools (minor ones - a plug to screw into the shower fitting, pex clamping pliers, inside pipe cutter) but used a ton of others that I have now but did not have back when I should have redone it instead of putting it off. :slight_smile: I was thinking as I did it that it was so much easier than some of the things I did 10 or 15 years ago when I hadn’t yet gotten much of what I have in my garage now. I think I did a better job on the whole thing than I did just on the first set of sliding shower doors I installed 30 years ago after I got married :smiley:

1 Like

Until my next gantry CNC arrives, everything.

Not in the least. It was a bit sketchy for the first few iterations of firmware, but they have the thing smoking now (in a good way).

Oh, you’re not pinning this on me! You know you need one. Ever need to do vertical joinery? Ever need to sneak up on a setting? Ever need to drop a 3.5-inch hole in a piece of ply without breaking out CAD/CAM? Yes, you need one.
If you do get one, tell them I sent you, and maybe they will give me a hat or something. Also, go ahead and get the workstation. You can make your own, but theirs is very professional and is a game-changer.

8 Likes

Is this what you are talking about?

1 Like