This Machine is Garbage $7000 paperweight!

I have Comcast cable with the newest Gateway modem and 3 xFi Pods , basement, livingroom and bedroom so my WIFI range is pretty strong, I was asking about the extenders out of curiousity

1 Like

Glad to see it connecting in a share environment like that. A few years back as the unified network was a new tech, the GFs just wouldn’t work for people until they split the 2.4 and 5 ghz networks into separate networks and put devices into them manually.

….is it possible it’s gotten upset because it found out it was on a unified network? Why it worked….:man_shrugging:…also why it’s stop working…:man_shrugging:

I’ve got Comcast 900mb with an asus rog ax11000 with 2 ax6100 APs with a hardwired apple time machine running a dedicated network exclusively for the GF.

1 Like

problem is , it was working just fine until the past Friday and it just stopped auto focusing and started giving me errors , I then cleaned all the optics made sure all the connections were clean and snug tight. A few people had told me it could be the WIFI but I checked that all out and I have dual bands 5 & 2.4 GHZ and it read it as a 2.4GHZ machine so thats what it’s says its 2.4GHZ and active connection so I dont know at this point

It’s like the focusing just stopped all together. I have strong internet to the PC right next to the GF and it’s in the same place since we unboxed it

What happens when you enter a manual height rather than using auto focus?

1 Like

I’ll actually do a test right now and let you know

I just set .125 on 1/8" thick Med. Basewood Hardwood proof grade material, used the exact same cut settings for the proofgrade settings and it did NOT cut all the way through, it almost did but it didn’t cut through the masking on the back , So I will have to weed the back of the sheet in order to punch out the graphic, and I broke the piece trying to get it out of the board, sucks.

1 Like

dont get me wrong I love my GF , I just need it working properly again, I’ve only had the unit 2 weeks

1 Like

While less likely on a new machine, could be a black ribbon cable issue. The traces are quite thin and are prone to breakage over longer chunks of time. The cable has also been lengthened since the time of the originals so there’s more slack around the lid joint but that only puts off the problem.

Ss&Gs, could separate the networks and test it. Even back in the day, the GF would register as a 2.4 device but it just wouldn’t work. I know it’d be a pain to test though. Why some of us have a dedicated network just for the GF. And that doesn’t always help if theres significant WiFi traffic. Early on the GFs were identified as having…less than stellar chips on them. Could be something in the area changed and it’s messing up the GF packet send/delivery. It’s also assumed they don’t have a very robust(if at all) redundancy data system for communication. They fail pretty easily if there isn’t a very low SNR. Changing channels fixed quite a few people. I don’t know if the Comcast units test and switch automatically. They should….but maybe not.

Read your reply-if manual entry fixed it(kinda-at least it’ll run) I’m guessing cable or head issue. If it’s also got cutting issues, maybe the head but just the data issue of the focus not working would be more likely cable.

Others can maybe think of something to try but that’s my thoughts. Support just takes…a while to follow up on anything but most claim good results. Amazon, this is not.

1 Like

Keep track of this because of the PG perfect cut every time with PG settings guarantee.

Edit: don’t know why I was reducing proofgrade to PF.

2 Likes

Comcast DOES test and switch automatically so my network DOES see the GF as active 2.4GHZ

It’s just frustrating having a brand new unit go down in 2 weeks and no one is around to help rectify the problem and the amount of money I put out for the PRO , The Premium Service for the year and all of the proof grade materials I purchased you would think the support would be well more staffed and answering tickets much more efficiently , what that being said, I just want a working unit and NOT this bad taste in my mouth.

1 Like

After a cut and before you take a piece out or move it - get in the habit of jiggling the pieces or trying to lift them out with a piece of tape. If they come out great, if they do not then shut the lid and run another pass. As long as you didn’t move anything, don’t worry about focus or the camera view, It will cut in exactly the same place. (I cut mostly Baltic birch and non-PG materials, there’s often spots that need a little help)

2 Likes

funny thing is I ZERO problems last week and out of nowhere my machine is not working properly so I’m not going to try and find work arounds, I want my machine fixed or replaced, it already worked fine for the first 2 weeks and we’ve made some great stuff, here’s my set up

and some of the stuff we made so far

1 Like

Suit yourself.

1 Like

Have you tried Set Focus before setting the location? Or is that what you are having a problem with?

1 Like

Its I just don’t wanna make more trouble under the hood, lol

yes I tried many times, without art placed and just the material, no focus and the cuts won’t go through the material

what are you saying here, I’m not following?

That is a different issue. You might need to redo the calibration routine to get Set Focus to work. You can find all the steps here…
https://app.glowforge.com/maintenance/camera-recalibrator

1 Like