Thought I’d show you these

After countless tries. Freelancer unfulfilled contracts. My own graphic designer FINALLY was able to comprehend that it’s the “wonderful” software and not the files. We have finally scaled.

42 Likes

I don’t entirely understand the initial problem, but the end result is fantastic!

6 Likes

Very nice layering! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Beautiful! And I wonder - what do you do with the cut outs? Seems like they would make incredible layered pieces as well!

4 Likes

Always love these 3d layered designs, wish i knew how to create them myself lol. Did you make the designs? If so what is a decent program to help make things like this? I primarily use inkscape

1 Like

The cut out pieces aren’t always perfect but I do always use my scrap wood for something if I can help it. No I sadly didn’t make these just found them on various places of the internet. I did though finally learn how to alter the files so that they can be made EXTRA big. I am planning on making coffee tables. Really nice really expensive ones.

4 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Be aware that just because you found the pattern on the internet does not mean you can use it to sell something - in most case it means you definitely can not sell something - unless you want to forward the money to the original creator. Making changes to size does not make the pattern yours.

3 Likes

At least some of these are from Etsy and the shop does permit (small) commercial use, including selling physical products.

It is always good to remember to make you sure have a license for creating/selling what you make.

2 Likes

I’m aware of the guidelines. I’ve made one or two of each design and they are clearly stated that they can be used for small reproduction uses. Most of the stuff I have actually has like up to 10 pieces before they want money.

4 Likes

Also. These aren’t for sale…

Inkscape works great for this kind of design, as would many other raster or vector editing applications. The effort is in creativity…

3 Likes

Yeah, I was just backing you up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad you got the issue sorted–these are beautiful! I am very impressed with the layering and wish you success in the coffee table selling!

1 Like

Let’s be honest… the hardest part about having this machine is the shit software that won’t listen to us. Make some better software or LISTEN to me. I live in Portland. Autodesk… actually reached out TO ME about glowforge pieces. I’ll be there this month to voice my opinion.

If you’re referring to the GF UI, I can’t say I agree. I see people here having issues, but I’ve never had any problems. My machine has always done exactly what I told it to do - including simple layered designs as shown above (which are exclusively cut operations.)

2 Likes

You prolly got one that wasn’t outsourced to Mexico. Get off your glowforge and read the horror stories associated with this machine.

It’s unfortunate that you dislike the software so intensely, but it’s designed to just be an interface…most of the design work is supposed to occur in your own design software. (In other words, it was designed that way on purpose, so that people could use software that they are already comfortable with.)

We’ve read more of the horror stories associated with the machine than you have, I promise you. Despite the quantity, most are simply new users unfamiliar with how the machine works. After the learning curve, most wind up thrilled with what the machine can do.

I hope you eventually get there.

8 Likes

I think that’s probably true - GF’s marketing videos tend to not highlight the role design software plays vs the GFUI which is more or less a print driver and not intended for design. Most complaints tend to be around it not being adequate for design. It’s an expectation gap mostly.

6 Likes