Tiki inlay

A friend on Instagram Jeff Granito allowed followers to upload one of his designs to see what we could do with it. I decided to do a sort of inlay idea with it. I’ve never done an inlay like this before and I learned a heck of a lot from it. Next one will be much better.

40 Likes

Don’t see much wrong with this one! Beautiful!

4 Likes

Pretty sure it can’t get much better than this! Awesome work.

3 Likes

That looks amazing!

2 Likes

Very nice work.

2 Likes

Oh wow!!!

2 Likes

I recently bought some alcohol inks… This is great inspiration!

3 Likes

That is fantastic! All the same wood? Stain or ink?

3 Likes

Thanks. It is all draft board and watercolor. If I could do it again (and I might) I would do all different woods. I think it would look better and be way easier to assemble.

1 Like

How so?

Taking apart all the pieces and painting them was a hassle. The issue was should I color all the same color pieces first (like all blue one’s) and then either glue them down right away hoping to get them exactly in the spot they should be. Or to set them aside and hope I don’t lose them or forget where they go. Or do I work from one side to the other but then colors may not match and it would take much longer having to clean the brush for each color change. I ended up doing a little of both.

2 Likes

Ah that makes sense. So pre-coloring wood and then cutting would solve part of the complexity.

If you knew where to color the wood. Which you won’t so then you’d have to separate the image file into different cuts according to color which would take forever. Or cut several versions of the same file, color each version a separate color and reassemble them all which is a waste of material.

what about printing out the design on paper…then as you remove the pieces, you can set them DOWN on the PAPER pattern either before or after painting…to make sure you have them lined up correctly.

Question: Did using watercolor cause any of the wood to swell?

2 Likes

I actually did do that. There were some pieces that were a tight fit and some I actually had to file down to make fit because I didn’t glue previous pieces perfectly. It definitely helped though. None of the pieces swelled because I went easy on the water.

2 Likes

Artwork and colors are really great.

3 Likes

I meant uniform coloring on different pieces of wood. I’m not that good at coloring within the lines!

1 Like

Turned out great!

2 Likes