Tile for my cousin who helped with our bee invasion

Cousin Nolan helped relocate the bee invasion to a bee box. So I made him a momento.

46 Likes

For a cousin who relocated a bee colony for me, I’d make it from gold! :smile:

It looks great!

9 Likes

This is BEEutiful! As a part of our schools “Bee Team”, I am In charge of maintaining the hive boxes. Ideas, Ideas!

3 Likes

Oh, nice! He definitely deserves an award, and that’s a really cute one.

3 Likes

Good on you for not just killing them in a knee-jerk reaction.
That tile turned out great! Isn’t it nice to think of, design, and blow out a personalized gift like that?

6 Likes

That tile looks incredible. Very handy having a bee-friendly cousin

2 Likes

The quotes we got was $2300 with no repairs. Crazy to rip open the exterior walls of your house. It would have been easier to just kill the hive but I wanted to relocate the bees instead. Nolan saved the day after I bought him bee suits and he built a bee box. The other boy is my very brave 12 year old son/helper. Nolan is reading up on bee keeping his sudden new hobby.

8 Likes

You’re all pretty brave. (I wouldn’t mess with either bees or bats.) :smile:

2 Likes

Glad to see people helping bees survive. Great gift for helping.

5 Likes

I agree. So nice to give a personalized gift to this level right away. Plus I was so thankful for all his help.

1 Like

Honey bees I don’t mind so much. Not allergic, that I know (it’s been a while since I’ve been stung - I wisely avoid the flying critters…) - but here in GA, the yellow-jackets that nest in the ground? Those… Those gotta go. Fire and brimstone!!

10 Likes

Also they kill honeybees. So yep. Flamethrower!

4 Likes

we also get a lot of red wasps around here. Fortunately I live backed up to woods, and because of that they tend to nest in the trees rather than trying to nest on my house…

but back on topic - Great tile!

2 Likes

Seems totally appropriate! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Congrats on the relocation of the bees! The tile is exceptional!

2 Likes

I love it! And I love the ability to make really nice, personalized mementos as gifts using this technique.

1 Like

This popped up for me just now, had not seen it before.

I have been led to believe that local beekeepers will relocate colonies gratis. Of course you had a relative do it, but for others faced with a similar problem, call around, look up bee keeping in your area.

We need all the bees we can get!

4 Likes

As a local beekeeper myself, 90% of the time we will relocate the bees free of charge as long as you will let us keep the swarm. Bees are expensive and releasing them back into the wild can cause more problems.

Even better, become a keeper yourself! We love to teach what we know and at this point, you already have a good sized swarm of free bees. What better way to get into a new hobby!

6 Likes