Tile Score!

Yep, I love scoring on tile and using oil paint pens to highlight the lines. These are all 100% vectors, with the banjo ones completely created by myself to hone my Inkscape skills. (drew them from banjo patent artwork as a reference). The glossy tiles don’t seem to score / hold the paint as well as the matte tiles.

26 Likes

Good work. It’s funny that the metallic sound of the typical resonated banjo played Scruggs style is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Yet I truly enjoy the sound of an openback banjo when played clawhammer style. I have two under construction on my bench right now.

3 Likes

I love them both, but understand how Scruggs can be a bit much. I don’t play clawhammer yet, but could easily use my Nechville for it. Definitely a more modern, warm tone vs my Huber. Would love to see yours some day…

1 Like
3 Likes

awesome! so look for matte tiles and can you share score settings?

1 Like

Settings for non-proofgrade material can only be discussed in the Beyond the Manual forum. Fortunately, there are many existing threads on working with tile.

Yes @rebecca2, I wanted to leave the settings out so it could stay in this category, however a quick forum search will lead you to plenty of good options.

General note:

Matte tiles do seem to take a score much better. The white image with the banjo is a glossy tile, and they tend to get a little bit of pitting along the score line. Perhaps adjusting the settings a bit might help.

Picked up the banjo about the same time as Steve Martin. He was using the banjo as a prop in his stand-up comedy. Apparently he has practiced since then. I didn’t.

Full circle… a friend who has played in our local oldtime jam, won the Steve Martin Prize for Excellence in Banjo. Watched his band and Steve Martin play together on David Letterman.

4 Likes

Victor Furtado? He’s the only one who might be old time and in your neck of the woods…

1 Like

No. Have met Victor and sat with him in a jam at the Appalachian String Band Festival (Clifftop) but he wouldn’t know me and I’m a rank beginner by comparison. It was Sammy Shelor of Lonesome River Band (Bluegrass). Sammy can’t play clawhammer but he does a good job keeping it subtle for oldtime. The guitar player with Lonesome River is the son-in-law of our fiddler. So they stop through here often.

1 Like

I like the banjo!

3 Likes