Tips for a complete novice! Other novice out there?

You might consider getting an older version of illustrator. Since the launch of Creative Cloud, the older versions have dropped considerably. I’m a graphic designer for a print company and we still use CS5. I use CS6 at home, but you could go back as far as CS4 and still get the job done.

1 Like

Thank you for a very good suggestion.

Yes, many of the OnShape principles migrated over from SolidWorks. It must be fun to get a second chance at developing a world class CAD system.

Truer words have never been spoken about software development of any application.

If any of you are Mac users, Candy Apple is a cheap vector graphics app that can export in most of the file types the GF uses. Haven’t used it much yet, but looks like it will work very well.

@Xabbess the single program cost for Illustrator subscription is only $10/month. If you know a student or teacher willing to order your subscription access to the entire Creative Cloud Suite is only $20/month.

That’s not free or necessarily cheap depending on your budget but I definitely wouldn’t call it top dollar. ($120 a year vs the $600-700 it used to cost to buy a static version outright) Especially as having Illustrator opens up your abilities to use the best features of the free Adobe Capture app (phone, tablet) that can generate great vectors from photos. I use it regularly - even easier and cleaner than the LiveTrace function in illustrator.

2 Likes

Thank you. I have downloaded and used the Adobe Capture app…which is really fun. I think I’ll try some of the other free programs before I spring for anything like Illustrator.

1 Like

:wink: when you venture back to Illustrator @Xabbess the things you collect in Capture will automatically show up in your Illustrator library ready to use, super handy.

1 Like

Yes, @jkapi, I think there are a lot of total novices. I’ve got zero experience with this kind of thing; but I’m pretty excited to learn. I’m hoping to be good enough to sell some stuff to pay for the GlowForge. In other topics they are talking Inkscape vs. Illustrator. Really, the advice that seems repeated most on that discussion is pick a vector software and learn to use it. I’ve already done things in Sketchup, and though it has a steep learning curve, it’s pretty cool for planning complex projects with lots of parts. People are talking up CAD as an extension of the 3D knowledge, and that’s going slower for me right now.
I gotta say, I’m enjoying the community on the forums. There’s a positive, helpful, empowering atmosphere here that I don’t see in most forums anywhere. That’s partly why I took so long to get on the forums at all - just not into trolls. Spend some time every day or two reading - even things that you hadn’t considered or aren’t your thing. There’s knowledge and enthusiasm and a different way of looking in all this community.

3 Likes

So I am new to lasers but know the software pretty good. I use Illustrator daily for our apparel business to cut vinyl. It has a decent learning curve. If you go that way learn the pen tool right away. It will be the most beneficial for the laser cutter. In college we had an assignment that the teacher made us do that I hated but it worked. She had an image of a barrel if peanuts we had to outline each peanut and change the color so we could see which ones we had done. That’s a great way to get good at learning the spots to put points (anchors) and how to use handlebars. I used to tech digital arts to kids from 6-18 at boys and girls clubs. We had no money for software so I downloaded inkscape for the kiddos. The interface is extremely similar to Illustrator so the learning curve for me was minimal. I was able to teach these kiddos how to use the pen tool, use type, convert to outlines and some other easy things. They were some hard kiddos at times to teach (easily distracted like most kids). I will say 2 of them, 6 and 16, ended up winning huge regional awards with the pieces they created! Good luck!

Peanuts? How cruel! I had my students vectorize a photo of stained glass windows by hand and mouse. Then they got to try different colors for the glass. The lead cames are good lines to follow.

Ah… thank you! I’ve been reading forums all morning and this post gave me the most useful info yet! AWESOME! To say I’m excited to get my GF would be a severe understatement. Being able to prepare will help pass the time.

Like most here, I am completely new to laser but have always loved making things for our home. Since ordering my GF I have joined a local Makerspace to get familiar with using a laser. Why not learn hands on from people who know and get a jump on things? It’s been a great experience and I have been able to make a few different things out of acrylic. I started using Sketchup but wasn’t happy with the way things were cutting. Sketchup will not cut a true circle. I have now started to learn Fusion 360. Garin Gardier has posted some great tutorials on here.

After reading all of this I think I’m going to try out sketch. Is there a plugin that will build the cut files or do I have to do that by hand?

I just started using fusion360 about a month ago and I love it. Im able to build incredibly accurate models of what I want, and you can even export gcode for all types of devices. I found it much more friendly than sketch, and the history tool is pretty amazing as well. If you have time I would take a look at it too.

2 Likes