Tis the season for a glowforge

I finally broke down last month and ordered a Glowforge. I am extremely pleased so far. I have been working with a Shapeoko CNC machine and I wanted to augment that with something capable of etching and handling smaller pieces.

After a few test projects I decided to try my own variation on chris1’s Flat Pack Christmas tree for glowforge. Mine is made from 1/4 plexi and uses a wooden base made on the Shapeoko with some LED lights (The CNC machine handles thick - 3/4 plus - wood pieces better).

A better view of the base:

The base uses 4 flicker flame LED’s so it looks pretty cool in the dark.

I am still getting used to the new machine and I am hoping to do a lot of crossover projects, like these Christmas boxes I just finished for the family (another CNC/Laser combo project).

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Just glad to be here with all of you lovely makers.

48 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous!

3 Likes

Bet they love 'em! :smile:

4 Likes

Nice projects. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Wow! Fabulous work! Glad you’re off to a great start with your GF and it’s a great addition to your work shop!

5 Likes

You got any more detailed pics of the base/bottom? Curious how you rigged the leds.

1 Like

Oh, really cool! Like the little boxes too!

3 Likes

Nice work! I’ve been working on slip fit boxes this past week with my CNC, thinking that I would engrave the tops. I just can’t think of what to put on them. Yours are so well-proportion.

And I hadn’t thought to make a coaster caddy box. What a cool idea. I have loads of coaster blanks and cork. So many projects, so little time.

3 Likes

Love it!! Great job!! I used to make fused glass Christmas trees stacked sort of like this. You did a fantastic job!!

2 Likes

So it’s basically a small hockey puck with a pocket underneath. There are 4 holes in the top and the led’s slip in from underneath. This makes them point straight up so it’s a nice bright light, but they “hide” below the surface.

7 Likes

Did you custom wire the leds, or were they in little bases?

These are the flicker flame LED’s from Amazon and if one were being charitable, they might call it custom wiring. It’s more of a “solder abattoir.” Best not to look closely. :laughing:

6 Likes

Oooo…that’s a clever technique.

1 Like

Looking at those boxes man, Easy to see the laser has given your work a new dimension. They’re Beautiful.
Tis the Season indeed. Glad you could join us. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You are bringing your work to a new level.

2 Likes

These are gorgeous.

I told my husband I want a CNC, and he politely explained that we are out of room. Still think I’ll have to have one in the next year or so.

5 Likes

Beautiful work!

My husband also thinks we are “out of room.” I can still squeeze things in, but not something messy like a CNC router. Sigh.

3 Likes

I do like the combination of CNC and laser. They are very different tools, but they compliment each other well.

There’s always room for CNC (and pie).

3 Likes

Totally LOL’ed at work :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You mean you didn’t fabricate a custom pcb just for this one off project?! Sheesh

1 Like