To boldly go...Star Trek tech and what Glowforge could become

People will love that, Dan–great idea.

1 Like

Gene pulled social issues of the day into the story line of StarTrek. The first interracial kiss on TV and many other lessons on morality.

5 Likes

One of the things that Star Trek explored was how you act responsibly (or don’t) when you have very nearly god-like powers.

8 Likes

It’s one of the things I admire most about him, and I think his biggest effect on the culture. It’s why the show has become iconic, instead of ephemeral.

7 Likes

Yes, quite the legacy.

5 Likes
12 Likes
10 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes

Unfortunately the article is at best a bit of hyperbole…

“But now researchers from Washington State University say they’ve successfully managed to get a fluid of superchilled atoms to act as though it has negative mass -”

A fluid acting as if it has negative mass (also called having a negative effective mass) is different than creating particles with negative mass. The Bose-Einstein condensate is showing off some nifty wave properties, but it’s Marty McFly saying he went backwards in time when what he meant was he put the DeLorean in reverse.

13 Likes

7 Likes

Sorry, it was an obscure 80’s movie reference.

10 Likes

Yes, I agree it is largely fluff. It is a bit like the new explanation of how the EM space drive works. Microwaves emitted inside a pseudo cone shaped, but closed chamber, can destructively interfere to produce a wave of zero amplitude and an effective mass (E=mc^2). These virtual photons can escape through the large closed end and produce thrust.

2 Likes

ALL the likes! :laughing:

4 Likes

NASA has advanced its warp drive theories.

20110015936.pdf (8.1 MB)

20130011213.pdf (9.6 MB)

1 Like

This next video has provoked much controversy in religious and scientific circles. Some of the precepts of water memory are attractive to me because of their similarity to concepts in my second post above relating to the transduction of states from quantum dots to awaiting atoms. I am fascinated by water memory, but not a believer yet. It is interesting to note that the bacterial cofactor in Aids he alludes to as a result of his research, has indeed been identified as a species of mycoplasma, as discovered and patented by the US NIH. Without mycoplasma, an Hiv infected person is a host only. Add mycoplasma and the patient will develop full blown Aids. The man shown is no crackpot. He received the Nobel Price for the discovery of HIV.

1 Like