Tonight's maker fail

came home to this

That is nylon 910 BTW, which makes this one insanely tough mass. heated it to 255C and pried it off with pliers. Managed to not break any of the wires (with creative flush-cutter use). The 8mm steel rods were flexing as I pried it off, this stuff is insanely strong.

38 Likes

You doctors!
Always trying to make the ‘perfect’ small intestine

Back to the drawing board with this version though

23 Likes

Owie! Sympathies. :neutral_face:

4 Likes

looks like alien medical waste.

8 Likes

Bummer, that.

1 Like

Were you TRYING to make a puked up hairball??? Cause if so, you nailed it. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

16 Likes

That’s a bad enough event with PLA; Nylon is much worse. That’s one of the reasons I no longer leave my 3D printer unattended for very long. Last time this happened to me, I had to take the entire extruder assembly apart.

6 Likes

Definitely not fun…

I think it’s a tumor…

13 Likes

giphy

20 Likes

Yah. That’s a mess. One of the wires for the stepper motor on my Y axis went a week and a half ago, I was lucky it wound up spaghetti. You were not lucky.

2 Likes

ouch! good job on prying all that off without breaking anything.

2 Likes

My first Chernobyl event was quite the encrustation. I was very sad because I thought the whole head was ruined. I did have to remove everything and clean it all, but it worked after. It was just PLA though and I found out it could get removed pretty easily. I can’t imagine the mess with nylon.

3 Likes

If it wasn’t for the blue thing in it, you could have snipped off the threads, put it on a shelf in your office and when people asked about it say it’s a blah, blah, blah (in Latin of course.) They would have nodded their heads in agreement.

3 Likes

That is the silicone sock from E3D:

1 Like