Too cold, but not too cold?

So I’ve seen the problem with other people’s units on here but no actual solution in comments. I contacted support and haven’t heard back so I hoped posting here would bring it to attention. Frankly I’m not even sure if I’m posting in the right place. I’m getting a “too cold, please wait” error only a few seconds into printing, but the ambient temp around the unit is 70f or so. I live in the PNW, the same place glowforge is made, so I see no reason why it would actually be “too cold”. Also after turning off, checking connections and printer head, then back on due to error. I tried the previous print I was working on, a few seconds in same thing, but also print button is now glowing yellow and the printer head is locked in place. Previously the last time I used it, it would begin printing and just blank run printer head over the surface without leaving a mark? All of this is on match grade or reasonable settings, nothing crazy. Also this was last night and it’s all still doing the same thing today. Any info helps guys. Thanks

1 Like

The “too cold” may be a temperature sensor issue…although I’ve seen a few cases where it sounded like it was throwing a “too cold” error when it was actually too hot. Which model do you have?

As for the printing without marking, sometimes when it doesn’t know what material you’re using, it will revert the power to 1, so check that’s not happening to you. It can also happen when you have duplicate lines in your artwork and they cancel each other out. The head still goes through the motions, but the laser doesn’t fire.

You’ve opened another support ticket by posting in this section, so once they catch up with reconciling the duplicates, they’ll consolidate it with the email ticket you already opened and your post will also get closed without the rest of us knowing the solution. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the info. It’s the basic model. It’s saying too cold apparently indefinitely at this point, as soon as it’s turned on a day after all of that. The user portal is still giving “offline” next to the print button. My house is 70 some degrees and it’s 60 something outside. I’m obviously new to this and know very little, but I have a suspicion it’s not something I can solve.

There are several things from absurdly simple to “You have to send it in” that are possible. The most simple is that the white ribbon connecting to the Glowforge head is not connecting correctly. All the pins at the connection need to be straight and the connection solidly in till it clicks.

You need to be gentle and careful in checking so as not to create the problem you are trying to fix but that would be my first go to.

Okay, the basic’s operating temperature range is 60-75ºF. If the ambient temp is in the 70s, and the hose is vented outside where it’s hotter than that, the temp inside the GF could potentially be too high for it to operate, assuming it’s just throwing the wrong error, which can happen (unless they’ve fixed that and I don’t know about it).

(Also, it doesn’t really matter where the laser was made; they’re not like people who acclimate to their accustomed environment. They tend to work more according to laws of physics and stuff. :wink: )

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag.

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.