Too many paths in the logo

I have a customer that I’m making a run of leather patch hats for. He sent me a PDF of his logo but when I upload it, I get the error that there are too many paths… I have Affinity software, but still pretty new to it… Wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on how I can clean this up?chandler pdf.pdf (58.4 KB)

Are you uploading the PDF as is? Which of the two logos are you trying to into the GlowForge? I might first try by separating out the two designs into different jobs.

Correct, I’m uploading the file he sent me. I have this issue with some other logo’s as well…

I don’t know if this will help or not but it has worked for me in the past. If you enlarge the image as much as possible on the screen you can then take a screenshot of it, crop that and either upload it as a JPG or paste it into an Inkscape document and save it as an SVG. I tried that with this logo and it seemed to work for me. I’ll try to upload the files that I made using that system. This is my first forum post or reply, though, so I hope I do that correctly. I tried once. The jpgs were huge and the svgs didn’t load at all. Here’s a link to them in my dropbox instead… https://www.dropbox.com/sh/01n9uuzhkyxkifn/AABXR4CYj8KHhSk5RYXcuIX9a?dl=0

1 Like

Here’s one of them – I did some node editing because the C and G were stuck to shapes that duplicated some of the green ones and would have caused them to engrave twice. Then I combined some of the curves, just because I like things better that way.

chandler 2.pdf (380.6 KB)

It may complain about clip paths when you load it into the GFUI, but just ignore that; it will come in correctly. I’m going to look at the other one now…

2 Likes

Okay, the first one is going to be more complicated. The GFUI won’t let you have gradient fills on vector shapes, so you have two choices.

1. Rasterize each of the shapes in the artwork in order to keep the gradient coloring. I’m not real confident it’s going to show up well when engraved; you’d have to do some experimenting to see.

2. Convert them to solid vector fills before importing, and optionally combine shapes like I did on the first one.

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble when trying to upload and print the design you received from one of your customers. It looks like you’ve already received some excellent advice from our other community members. Thanks folks!

Will you please let us know if what they shared helped get you up and printing?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.