Tools, supplies to accompany the Glowforge

Over 20 years of use and I have replaced the brushes once.
I have cleaned and surfaced the commutator a couple of times.

2 Likes

Him indoors has one of these. It may be his favourite thing in the world (apart from his Defender).
http://www.logosol.co.uk/sawmills/big-mill-system/big-mill-pro.html
He laughed a lot when he saw your band saw video.

3 Likes

That’s on my wish list when we buy the land for our dream house. I don’t have a good enough source of logs right now.

1 Like

He says,
GET ONE!
Hello, Him indoors here, had to push her off the keyboard. It’s freaking awesome. Unlike the Alaskan mill, you can quartersaw with it and it is really accurate as long as you set it right, you can cut ridiculous bits of wood. With the rails I have i can cut 42" x 27’ planks with an accuracy of about 1/16". My one regret is that I got a 3120 (Husqvarna) with a Sugihara bar. With the benefit of hindsight, might have gone for the Stihl 880 (and I’m a huge Huskie fan).
Of course, cutting is only one small part of producing quality plank and beams, but I fear stepping into the realms of “teaching my Grand-mother to suck eggs”.
The one thing I will say is that once you start cutting your own, there is no going back, it’s really addictive.

6 Likes

Oh, and use Skip-ripping chains, cuts better, and puts less strain on your saw ( again, Grand mothers and eggs).

1 Like

From what I see of Matt Cremona, it’s a gateway drug to getting a full size bandmill.:grinning: I’ve thought of it but I have no building to dry wood and can’t get to the stuff I already have milled.

Doing slabs for tables and benches though would be amazing. There always seems to be logs waiting to be worked on. It just gets pushed into piles and burned around here. You do have me thinking now.

2 Likes

I too have no room for a building to dry timber in, but one of these???

Just a thought.

9 Likes

Yes. the first project to build with my mill will be a solar kiln.

Yes, a solar kiln is on the wish list, too. Again, no room for it on this property.

Thanks for the information! I’ll file that way for future reference.

My brother and I talked about getting an Alaska mill years ago but never got around to it. Now I’m holding out for something more like this.

2 Likes

I met this guy at a craft fair yesterday.
One of these is going into my toolkit http://creekcutler.com/collections/stock-knives-1/products/kiridashi-knife
He also makes some very lovely Bush knives that had him indoors looking decidedly misty eyed.

8 Likes

Happy day of the cake! :cake:

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes

Happy cakeday @sawa.

Having spent the last little bit of time putting together the planetary gears mentioned here I have found one of these very useful when cutting dowels, easy to get straight accurate cuts.

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-982991dt.jpg

11 Likes

Interesting way for cutting dowels. I’ve cut pipe with this tool for years, but never though about cutting dowels.

4 Likes

What @Just-Maken-It said. Creative idea.

Huh. I never would have thought of that for dowels. (I’ve used a pipe cutter occasionally on cheap plastic fittings and gotten not-so-great results, fwiw.)

Useful tool, I keep one for pipe and another for dowels. Caught on to using it for wood hanging curtains.

those work great for pvc pipe too, if you don’t have shears. no plastic sawdust.

2 Likes