Top door hitting right side

I received my GF yesterday and noticed when i close the top, its hitting the right side so i have to push it down for it to close completely, is this normal?

Your machine is likely not sitting flat.

Shim up one corner with folded paper - you can lift it on each corner to figure out which one needs to be shimmed up. If it’s rubbing on the right, I think lifting the front left corner will do it.

5 Likes

thanks so much, will try that!

1 Like

I had been using a rickety old home made desk for over a year. It didn’t require any shims. Last week I bought a nice steel tool chest with a solid wooden top from Home Depot. After I put the Glowforge on it I had to shim the right front corner to even up the gaps around the lid. The case on these machines is very flexible.

1 Like

Hello @jboraby, the advice that @eflyguy provided is correct.

Many tables are not perfectly flat, which can create some friction when the lid closes. This is not harmful and does not require any changes. If you would like to improve it, however, try inserting a spacer - for example 20 sheets of copy paper - under the center of the printer. If that doesn’t help, try moving the spacer to either edge. It may require some experimentation, including more or less paper, to find the arrangement with the least friction when it closes.

Please let us know how it goes.

1 Like

thanks so much! with eflyguy and your help i was able to make it a lot better putting some paper under the left side.

1 Like

yes with their help i was able to make it quite a bit better with the paper underneath the left side! thanks so much

When you shim the bottom of the GF you are effectively twisting the case to make it flat. Camera alignment may or may not be affected. Running a recalibration routine for the camera might be necessary.

4 Likes

thanks so much!

Hello @jboraby, I’m glad the spacer was able to help!

I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!