Total Failure Tote (Not Anymore)

Solidworks user here, but maybe some of these parametric design tips and tricks will be helpful.

Use several base sketches and reference everything else off of them. It’s a lot easier to tweak a dimension in a base sketch than try to find the correct sketch in your design tree later.

Use equations to drive features. For example, if you need a bar with a series of evenly spaced holes that are always centered regardless of the length of the bar, you can use equations to calculate the number of holes or the spacing of the holes and how far they should start from one end so the hole pattern ends up centered. You might have to get pretty fancy with your math. The integer function INT(X) is really useful here because it rounds down to the nearest whole number.

If you can make your design symmetrical, you only have to design half of it and then mirror it. This can save a lot of time and headaches. Also these types of designs tend to update faster since the computer only has to figure out half as many dimensional updates.

Use construction geometry and constraints as much as possible.

The plate on the left is defined by only 5 dimensions. The plate on the right is identical, but it takes 14 dimensions to define and is an absolute mess to update.

12 Likes

All my likes for the day. I mean I know this in theary but your sketches illustrate it well.

2 Likes

I just stepped straight into the deep end…and drowned.

7 Likes

ROFL! I finally got mine straightened out. (PEBCAK.) I simplified it, it’s working fine, and now i can build off of it. :smile:

Going to run a little test here in a bit and start making the storage boxes I need to get organized around here.

Easy breezy from this point on. (right?) :thinking:

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

All are horizontal, it is just that some march to a different horizon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yay! We have achieved success by focusing on the box part - I can always add the handle later, and keeping it separate gives me the opportunity to get a little creative and mix it up.

So a few pics before I go and devote myself slavishly to catching up on all the stuff I set aside to play with the laser. :roll_eyes:

Went large to corral all the jigs and larger tools that I need to keep near the machine, and smaller for a six pack of flavored lip balm. Would make a nice lipstick box.

I like the little ones.

tote2

So I went smaller.

tote3

And smaller.

fakephotofolks

(Obviously you lose all definition on that little one.) :smile:

18 Likes

Okay, you’re just showing off again now, like that time you engraved the Gettysburg address on that pinhead.

5 Likes

Ha hahahaha! You’re hilarious!

3 Likes

Aside from the obvious joy you’re having with these, I must say I love the simplicity (after all you did to achieve that, are you laughing at my choice of words, here? :wink:) and elegance of your design. Methinks you’re having a ball!

3 Likes

If that tiny one was just a bit taller you would have a place to store pins and needles. Just as I need to find a place for the ones I have been sitting on waiting for Puff to arrive.

4 Likes

Glad you put the pen in the last photo, I thought that must be a really big M&M. :grinning:

3 Likes