Trace mode and Text

I am trying to do the recipe on a cutting board so I used the trace mode for the handwritten recipe. The problem is when I choose to remove the background. The letters “AD O etc are not cut out. How can I remedy this?
Thanks from a newbie

1 Like

After the trace, you are given the option of clicking white space and generally cleaning up the trace. Did you do that? In general, I have found it better to scan a recipe into a different program, remove the background and clean up the scan before placing in the Glowforge interface.

Yes I did try but was only able to do the background. Is there a way to do more than one? I am using an IPad so not sure if that is the problem. I am a newbie at the IPad the Glowforge and the vector program… so that is not in my favour! Lol

Handwriting is awfully hard - any chance you could upload a photo here and one of us who has experience with a graphics program could scan it for you? The trace function is fabulous but it really works better with deep dark broad strokes than handwriting!

1 Like

Yes the handwriting is bad. I think it is pencil. I did print out the writing and traced over it. The image on the draft board is the result. I enlarged the print and traced manually over it but I am not sure it will work.![image|666x500](upload://vn

CO5wKiy7mRqV6ec8HPM0OsKmR.jpeg)
[

Nana’s.pdf (463.9 KB)
This is the original!
Thanks again for your help!

You did a fabulous job! That should engrave beautifully. I’ll still run it through, but I’m betting it won’t be all that different.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the help in this thread, @deirdrebeth and @dklgood ! That’s lovely to see. @hembroffd were you able to engrave the cutting board successfully with the provided file?

Yes the handwriting is bad. I think it is pencil. I did print out the writing and traced over it. The image on the draft board is the result. I enlarged the print and traced manually over it but I am not sure it will work.
[I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, When you clean up the image you need to click on every closed character like A D E. I f you happen to click on any part of the letter it removes all of them and you have to start over. Let me tell you even though I have a pen with my IPad I I had to zoom up to 1000 in places so I didn’t touch any black! What a learning experience.![image|666x500](upload://8JBLXARjQGrloaZOu4CNDi6rfCX.jpeg)

2 Likes

[quote=“hembroffd, post:9, topic:60098”]
upload://aP4wyiT8001jaA9kzJhOys4w0of.jpeg)
[/quote]

5 Likes

That turned out nice. I love the abbreviations - van, cin, marg, etc.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all your help! It is great to be able to connect with someone who can you figure out a problem. This is birthday gift for Trudy and it is in her Mothers handwriting who passed many years ago. She is going to love it!

2 Likes

That looks fabulous! They will :heart: it :slight_smile:

How beautiful and special!! Thanks so much for sharing a photo of the finished product.

Thanks again to @deirdrebeth and @dklgood for their help! I’m going to close this thread now, but please start a new thread (or write to us at support@glowforge.com) if you run into any other trouble.