Travel Retro Gaming System - Version 3!

I posted this a little over a year ago, and wanted to give a little update.

I wanted to build a portable, modular retro gaming system that requires no soldering

After two designs with a couple flaws I did a third and final iteration. I revised the inner mounting board layout to work better with the lengths of the small cables and provide better access to the charging port & USB ports.

I also etched some of my favorite NES character in to the top & front. The two holes were intended to have small magnets to keep the hinge closed, but the fit is tight enough I don’t need them.

I’m really happy with this iteration. The speakers work suprisingly well, and attaching a controller makes it feel no different than on a tv.

This version is 11.5" x 6" x 1 3/4" with little nylon bumpers on the bottom it sits about 2" high. It’s a 1/4" shorter & deeper than the first design, and it feels pretty compact

Someday I may cut it again out of wood once this one starts to show it’s wear.

I’m happy to answer any questions anyone has. I designed this iteration initially in sketchup & then drew it up in Draftsight. The characters were added in illustrator after turning them black & white in Photoshop. I believe I used the Live Trace option on them in illustrator to convert them into fills for better clarity.

Thanks for looking everyone!

23 Likes

That is very nice. The Glowforge is great for making really cool project enclosures.

Sweet!