Trebuchet

You know that old expression, “When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail”? Well, as a Glowforge owner, that happens quite a bit. “How can I solve this problem with a laser?”

My son came home this past weekend with an assignment for his history class (7th grade): make a trebuchet. No plans. No size requirements. Just “make a trebuchet”. According to my son, the teacher said he does this every year and sees everything from small cardboard and string ones to large backyard ones made with 2x4s.

There are quite a few places onine with instructions on how to build trebuchets, but a lot of them require quite a bit of material. I wasn’t planning on spending a ton of money for a one-off school project, so I looked around for what I had on hand that we could use to design/build one from scratch. A few bits of scrap lumber here and there, but plenty of 1/8" plywood.

So rather than making the side out of a vertical supports out of lumber (which would have to be braced with diagonals), I just designed a plywood gusset in a CAD program. Each side is made of three individual pieces. The two interior pieces have a hole at the top that accepts a dowel.

It ended up with a simple/clean look that came together super easy. The only think we needed to buy were some weights, a dowel, and some hardware. Not bad!!

And of course, we had to make a cool name to attach to throwing arm!

thumbnail_IMG_7464

44 Likes

Now make some cows to fling!

holy-grail-catapult

15 Likes

That’s great.

You might like this:

14 Likes

I said lunch, not launch!

12 Likes

I miss doing school projects with my kids! (They don’t consult with me on their college/grad school assignments for some reason. :woman_shrugging:)

Great trebuchet! Your son is lucky to have a Glowforge owner in the house!

10 Likes

Yes, that is a cool name! Nice design, too.

10 Likes

My personal philosophy for christening any new maker machine (laser, CNC, 3D printer, etc) is to make a weapon of mass destruction. I used to teach laser trebuchet making as one of the early class sequences for laser design & operation :slight_smile:

I’ve got a good 90%-laser trebuchet design if you ever need another one. The only two parts that aren’t lasered are the pencil I use for the cross axle the arm rotates on and a bunch of pennies I use in the arm’s counterweight.

I keep one on my laser project sample shelf (that now happens to be in a box somewhere in a U-Haul U-Box in the driveway with much of the rest of my life :stuck_out_tongue: ) My wife did not suggest that it might not need to make the trip to the new house :smiley: She’s been remarkably hands-off with my “stuff” even as we sort through and dispose of 40 years of accumulated detritus.

14 Likes

Gonna Hurl. Nice touch. Winner project all the way.

9 Likes

I had to look the word up to see what it meant! That sign made me giggle.

5 Likes

Nice use of your Glowforge. I miss the school projects.

6 Likes

I’ve seen it three times already, and I still giggle. I love silly word play!

6 Likes

LOVE the name…it’s perfect and so funny. What an elegant trebuchet!

6 Likes

A winner! Julius Caesar would’ve loved it.

6 Likes