Trick for assembling tight-fitting pieces

A small rubber-tipped hammer is my goto, but when you can’t find which box it was packed in, or your parts don’t lend themselves to hammer-tapping, squeeze clamps come in VERY handy…lol

36 Likes

two of them and a piece of wood on top and bottom is what I have used to close gaps.

4 Likes

I’m a heathen. I just use a plain old claw hammer :wink:

This clamp trick is probably smarter.

6 Likes

I have like, maybe a dozen and a half of these little clamps. They’re awesome. And they’re cheap.

6 Likes

Clever… and quieter than a hammer.

5 Likes

Packing tape on thick, flat material makes a great press for things like inlay, using clamps like this.

3 Likes

Particularly when one edge is all fingers that could be damaged and I want to spread out the force across a large area and even multiple clamps, I found that the scraps from making the fingers can be used to great effect…

2 Likes

Getting equal pressure as you clamp across the joint is key when doing this (I use it a lot). I’ve in the past used a scrap piece of Maple or Oak on the short side (direction of the grain runs parallel to the edge I’m clamping) to do this with success.

4 Likes

I never would have thought of it! Nice tip!

2 Likes

I had already forgotten this great trick, could have used it recently!

1 Like

You shoulda’ called me. :wink:

2 Likes

Well, this is a rather neat trick! Don’t know how I missed it but I sure could have used it on the last major assembly job.

3 Likes

I have used it from the first time. More rare for me to use the rubber or leather mallet. Then again when using glue, clamps are the natural way to go.

1 Like