Trogdor is in the house!

Oh, just noticed this! In my case, kind of a bummer BC I let the guys name it something stupid :wink:

3 Likes

Chuckle! I might name the final version “Hedgieforge” (someone suggested that…brilliant! Wish I’d thought of it before I named it.), but I can live with “The Forgerie” until then. :smile:

4 Likes

As long as their tube and everything else was the same. For example, if @rpegg sent something to @takitus given the different power of their tubes, I would bet that @takitus would not be able to cut through that 1/2" piece that @rpegg showed us.

OR, a Pro user sending something to a Basic user, also probably wouldn’t work well (50% power on Pro does not equal 50% on Basic).

So there would need to be some sort of compensation to translate your settings for your machine into settings that might work in someone else’s machine.

All that aside, I would really enjoy the ability to “send” my design to someone else’s machine with my “suggestions” as to what works on my machine. They would put in the material of their choice, they set up the settings, and then hit print.

4 Likes

I saw this car the other day, and immediately thought of this post…forgive the bug gut filled windshield, just returned from a 1800 mile road trip

27 Likes

So that’s where my squeee went. Chuckle! :sunglasses:

15 Likes

Coincidence James.
My thoughts early this morning, while sipping early morning tea - "What if I was in UK, with my laptop on line, and swmbo was in the Forgerie, in USA, and ready to hit the button when I told her to, over the phone ?
I assume that the GF doesn’t need my laptop to be physically present, in order to go online, and grab a sky hook to the cloud, just so long as I’m online ?

Or are the locations of the two devices detected, in some way, and would produce an error signal if they differed ?
Are they, in fact, seen as a network ?

2 Likes

I believe this capability was in one of the early gf videos. Thought a PRU had tried it as well, but didn’t find anything in a quick search.

Thanks for that link.
My mind is now racing ahead to getting production going, even when I’m not in Corinth !
Quite amazing. My engineer stepson is just not going to be able to resist this idea :smiley:

1 Like

The laptop and glowforge do not need to be on the same network. As long as you had someone to load/unload materials and press the glowing button, you should be able to set up jobs from anywhere on the planet. I have not done this (yet), but I have been able to open the GF app and log into my account from work as well as from a computer at a local electronics store (in incognito mode, wiped the cache afterward). Pulled up my account with the last stored bed image, and all my stored jobs.

2 Likes

I have definitely been “elsewhere” and brought up my GFUI and seen my laser’s bed. The problem currently is they don’t allow multiple accounts (not thrilled with the idea of my kids having my GF account password, since that also is your forum/store account… So while you can do it from the UK to the US, not sure she wants to share her personal account yet.

So far anything my son wants to cut, has been done on my account, on my computer (he’s emailed me the files)

2 Likes

No, that’s fair enough.
It also means my future :proofgrade: stockpile wont suddenly disappear into my stepson’s projects during my absence. :wink:

6 Likes

Yep it works. And remember you can be logged into your account on multiple PCs at the same time so your local set of hands can also see what’s going on/status if you’ve left them logged in while you’re remotely loading and managing it.

2 Likes

That’s interesting! So if it allows multiple, simultaneous logins I could confirm my family’s settings before they print, while I’m at work! That’s pretty cool!

2 Likes

At least when I try it, I can’t see a live view of what they are doing. So while I can upload, etc I don’t have a live collaborative view of the job settings and cutting. I do see the status.

Well, darn. Meh… that’s what TeamViewer’s for…

1 Like

Two open sessions do not equal one user experience. While they can happen at the same time, each session cannot simultaneously see what the other is doing.

Yeah, it’s not nearly as useful as say Octoprint is for 3D printing, when I start a job in the lab, but can do everything from home (including monitor).

1 Like

So what we’re saying is that a weighted eschutcheon with a servo in it, and a robot arm to open the lid, with a small vacuum gripper…

3 Likes

So… Have any of you PRU people played with trying to send two patterns at once? Does the machine “lock out” as soon as one person hits upload, or is it a race to finish processing to figure out who makes the button glow?

Could just open the UI in Firefox as well as Chrome on a single computer. Upload a really complicated design on one, then a super simple design on the other. Watch for error messages, or just see which one shows up on the button in each of two cases : 1) press button immediately upon glow happening (Ideally while complicated first upload still processing), and 2) press button only after both machines claim to be done uplaoding

2 Likes

No. But I accidentally cancelled a print because I checked progress on a different device and clicked the cancel button rather than closing the window.

1 Like