Trouble engraving an overlapped font

I am using an overlapped script font (Monopola Script). If I use let my drawing package export curves for the font, I get engraving voids where the characters overlap. If I convert to curves, then the inner part of some letters (e, y, …) does not show up - i.e. it engraves this part of the letter as well.

1 Like

What program are you using?

1 Like

You’re almost there. Make sure the eye has a stroke but no fill.

1 Like

Affinity Designer

1 Like

That didn’t seem to make any difference. Two files attached. image of the file and settings to be engraved and the engraving (one on right).
ey%20result ey

Try selecting both the letters and the “hole” and using geometry->subtract.

3 Likes

Looks to me more like a fill-rule/winding order issue.

Not sure how people in AD are solving that. A search for affinity designer fill rule may bring up some solutions. Or, someone can chime in, or, you might try saving the project as a PDF, which I believe will treat the fill-rule differently than the AD default.

2 Likes

The easiest fix is to rasterize your text before engraving it. In Affinity Designer you use the Layer→Rasterize command:

It uses your document’s DPI settings so make sure it’s set to 300 DPI or higher:

Hopefully Glowforge will improve their handling of fill modes in the future, but rasterizing fixes it for now. (Just be sure to keep a non-rasterized version in case you need to edit it.)

2 Likes

In illustrator you would select all of the text that has been converted to curves and then UNITE

In AD select your curves, right click, geometry, add

That should do the trick.

2 Likes

But how does it work on letters with counters (p, g, b, etc.)?

1 Like

Just the same. I left the curves filled this time, and changed the color of the inner letter for illustrative purposes

It combined them into a single curves layer

in outline:
(got tired of using black :slight_smile: )

It’s still a vector so can resize, recolor, etc. easily.

5 Likes

I meant in the app :slight_smile:

The OP did convert to curves in the second example, which led to the counters being filled in (implying a winding rule error in the app).

3 Likes

Oops. Sorry. I misread. (gave me an excuse to update AD though :laughing: )

FWIW: This is a pretty common problem whether using AI or AD for me. The GFUI likes this fix :slight_smile:

BTW: Since I’m typing and can’t stop, AD allows me to copy/paste directly into the GFUI too! I just had never tried before.

2 Likes

Weird that you would be seeing it in AI. The fill-rule problem is with the even-odd winding rule and AI tries to do everything it can do to use a non-zero winding rule (which is fully supported in the app).

You can force it to use the even-odd rule, but I don’t know if you can set it by default. You might check in the Attributes panel and see if even-odd was selected at some point (this is where you can force it to use one or the other).

1 Like

I’ll do that since I had the same issue just the other day making a quick sign for a co-worker.

1 Like

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.