Trouble uploading design

OMG!!! This program is AMAZING!!!
Worked like a charm on another file that I set up and wouldn’t upload either!
Everyone need to bookmark this!
Especially the Newbies Like me!!!

Thank you!!!

4 Likes

Thank you all for your help!!!
This is a HUGE learning curve for me!
But had the same feeling as everyone else when cutting out the Founders Ruler!!!

1 Like

It’s not a cure-all, but I’ve had good luck with files that it liked.

Have fun! I’m glad you are seeing some success now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you again!

1 Like

Maybe it’s machine specific or something becasue the original file teditz loaded and the resave I made in Corel loaded fine the first try on my end. Not sure why your machines would see the files any differently?

1 Like

Strange.
Thank you and also @Jules for your help!

1 Like

Wondering if it’s a browser issue? I did see some Firefox specific issues in the past. When in doubt, clear the cache or try a different browser.

I use Chrome.

1 Like

Did you run it? Happy with the result?

Ok, so the file that I fixed in SVGOMG is switch plates and top and bottom rings for a light shade I’m cutting out of acrylic.
As soon as I told the GFUI what medium I was using, it immediately separated correctly, the cuts and engraves. I also notice that one switch plate was off the cut area, but I had one extra, so I deleted it IN THE GFUI! Also, I notice that two items were way to close and I could pick, choose and arrange at my desire!
I LOVE THE GFUI!!! Amazing job @dan and company!!!

~Edit - sorry for the misspellings…allergies are horrid right now…brain not working well.

8 Likes

Hey @teditz , I think I found the problem. When you saved the file as an SVG from Illustrator, you might have had Include XMP checked for that file. (It showed up on my files after I tried to upload yours.)

Uncheck that and your file uploads just fine.

2 Likes

FYI on that switchplate file, it most likely won’t work as is. I’m designing my own switch plates and have run into a number of issues I see here.

Switch plates normally have counter sunk holes for screws for a flat face look. You also need to account for a number of elements in the switch itself that normally stick out a bit from the wall face. Printing these as is will give you a flat piece that won’t lay flush against your wall because the back of the plate will hit whatever is highest.

If you look at store bought switch plates they are cupped a bit to account for this. If you’ve already got a plan for that awesome! Otherwise something to think about.

2 Likes

I made an oversized plain acrylic one to cover up a bad drywall job in my garage. I counter sunk the screw holes with a deep engrave that was the size of the screw heads. I also had the problem of it not coming up quite flush due to screws and other bumps on the outlet. I solved it by cutting a thin outline the same shape of the outside and gluing it to the face plate. It worked well in this case.

Some of the outlet and switch boxes in my house are also set back just a hair deeper than the drywall. A flat wood plate might clear those OK.

4 Likes

Thank you @Jules! Didn’t notice if it was checked or not.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.
I plan to countersink the holes, just don’t know how with the laser.
Also, I planned, that if they didn’t sit flush, I could pop them in and engrave a rectangle on the back.
But the way I installed the switch and outlet boxes, they should be really close.

1 Like

No, groups should be handled fine.

Each piece of software has its own bugs in handling SVG files, so opening in a different piece of software and re-saving might well fix problems.

3 Likes

Thanks a million! I will share with the team. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m moving this to the Problems and Solutions category. Problems get faster attention there, and the support team reads it, so problems like this can get relayed back to engineering for investigation. Glad to see this one’s solved, though!