Trouble with cutting

Hi!

I have a new project after a few weeks, and my GlowForge doesn’t want to work.
Yes, I did the entire cleaning process, and I tried The Gift of good measure artwork on proofgrade materials with the original proofgrade settings.

That came out…

What is wrong? What can I do?

I checked back the Problems and Support category and I see a lot of similar trouble. What is going on?
Anybody got fixed this?

Worst case scenario you’re looking at a failure of the power - but as that requires a return to the mothership for repair, let’s see if there’s anything else that can be fixed at home!

Will you take pictures of all the components like they ask for here - maybe we can see dirt or scratches that could be causing your laser to be so weak.

Hi @leslie0720. I’m sorry to see that you’ve run into some trouble with your Glowforge cutting through material. I’ll be happy to work with you to get this sorted out. I reviewed the Gift of Good Measure test print result, and saw that it was marking the material. but looked weak and missing some cut lines. Are you seeing any differences when cutting material on the left side of the printer bed? It can help to have you run multiple copies of the Gift of Good Measure with the design spread across the printer bed.

Also, to rule out any optical parts from contributing to this, can you take photos of the following?

• Both windows

• The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head

• The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge

• The printer head lens

• Both sides of the lens, top and bottom

• The mirror inside the printer head

• The bottom of the printer head with the lens installed

I’ll forward to your response. Thank you!

Any other idea?

I’m guessing they’re also waiting for you to respond to this part…

Ok, so the first picture was the right bottom corner.
I will upload 2 more.

The first today is the left bottom, and the second is the right top.
But i think i might find the problem.
Can i change this lens?

Is this the Laser Window (Silver)?
I have to order one.
How can I change it?

Oh that might be it! Yes - you can order one here:

It screws in to the holder - you can put tweezers or similar into the divots around the lens, and the whole thing just rotates.

If you’re under warranty they’ll send you one for free though!

1 Like

@leslie0720 I am so sorry your Glowforge printer is not cutting through your material.

It looks like you have ordered the replacement Silver Window. I would suggest that there is some build up that could cause the issues you are experiencing. After the replacement has been installed can you print another Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material? Please let me know how it goes.

Hi!

I changed the silver and the black lenses, but the cut exactly the same. Nothing changed.
I spent over a $100 and I still cannot cut thru the medium draft board.
The results is exactly the same like my first picture.
So what is wrong?

Oh no, I’m sorry for the continued trouble @leslie0720.

Unfortunately, it looks like our next steps would be to proceed with a replacement.

I’ll send over the information in an email as we’ll need some personal information if you’d like to proceed.

I’ll close this request so our conversation can continue there.