Troubleshooting an SVG file

I’ve seen people say they’ve had compression artifacts show up in the engrave when they use JPG files. If you’re retracing the file, the compression artifacts can cause problems there too. In either case (rasterizing to send to the GFUI or rasterizing to then retrace) PNG should work better than JPG. Then again, BMP also should have worked, even though it looks like it didn’t.

I think rasterizing and sending to the laser is a valid workaround*, or at least it should be, but if the Glowforge doesn’t engrave vectors and rasters the same way, it really isn’t.

Does the Glowforge still treat raster black (RGB 0,0,0) differently than vector black (RGB 0,0,0)?

*even though it IS a kludge and creates an extra file that shouldn’t be necessary, as pointed out by @marmak3261
*even though “you’ll get better image quality leaving it as a vector”

Yes, the blur is a special effect to tell you the image is not usable.

Yeah it’s the pathing direction problem. SVGs allow two different winding methods but the GFUI only handles one. They’re not truly SVG standard compliant.

I ran into this a week or so ago helping @davidgal2 on something he was doing. The reverse subpath didn’t work so I had to do another workaround. But it’s a good one to start with. Drives me nuts :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I’m so glad you were able to print your stamp!

I’ll look into the feedback about CorelDRAW SVG files.

1 Like