Trying to cut

Hi my name is Jesse I am trying to cut but no matter what format I save my image as it tells me bitmaps can only be engraved. Even though it is not a bitmap. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

What file format and design software are you using? Posting an example file would help Support help you. Can you successfully print the Gift of Good Measure?

If you’re saving .jpg, .png, .gif, .bmp, etc. those are bitmap-only formats.
The only GF-friendly vector files are SVG or PDF, but even then those formats can contain bitmaps, which can only be engraved.

1 Like

Somewhere in your process, it’s turning into a raster (pixel) file. SVGs can contain both vector and raster. The software doesn’t convert vector files to raster, so it’s somewhere up the chain from there.

3 Likes

i did not try gift of good measure i tried a file of my own first but i saved it as a svg but when i went to upload it the file says its a html file not the svg i saved it as. I am using inkscape and tried multiple different svg file options. But pdf should be able to cut as well?

PDF and SVG are container-type files. They can contain both vector and raster elements. Just because you save as that format, doesn’t make it a vector (which is needed for cutting).

4 Likes

If you will spend some time checking out the advice and tutorials referred to in the post below, I think it will help you to understand how to prepare your files for the Glowforge.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you hit a snag. Could you please send us the file you’re running into trouble with? We’ll be glad to take a closer look.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.