Trying to get crisp and clear lines

I can’t seem to get a clear crisp line. I’m getting a lot of splatter.
I’m using Microsoft word saving it as a PDF and saving that as a PNG. Using full speed 80% power and 225. I believe it’s aluminum. Thanks in advance to all, Dave.

It would be helpful if you could supply a photo of what you mean by splatter. I suspect that your difficulty starts with your source file, but the forum needs to see the output to offer assistance.

1 Like

Yeah sounds like a noisy file. Your GF only does what it’s given. Definitely share the file if able, but Word isn’t a great starting place for the GF to begin with.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll bite… Why?

I’ve used both Word and Powerpoint to generate text-heavy files for engraving tile, slate, wood, etc. Save it as a PDF and load it into the GFUI. Done.

2 Likes

Skip the PNG conversion and load the PDF file to the GF. That should help

1 Like

Thank you all for trying to help. Hopefully these images are providing will suffice if not I will get whatever you need me to. Thanks again Dave

I didn’t say you couldn’t use it. I said I don’t think it’s great. Crummy graphic design tools and awful with graphics.

If you are sure this is anodized aluminum, try settings you find here on the forum such as 200 speed 100% power and 450 lpi noted in Feb 2018 by seanosteen. Alternatively, you can search the forum for successful settings for type that size. I have had pretty good luck with 700/50/340. Make sure you are properly focused - either measuring your material precisely with calipers or using the set focus tool and making sure the red beam falls on your material.

Should I be using something other than Microsoft word converted to a PDF?
Thanks for providing settings to, I’ll try that this afternoon when I get back to my house.

I haven’t used Word, but others seem to think it works ok. I think skipping the PNG is the correct option should you continue to use Word. I don’t think the program is your problem. I think it is more the focus and the settings. Here is an example of Inkscape text and graphic on anodized aluminum that I did

2 Likes

It is also possible that the artwork is perfect and the settings are wrong. The knives may not be anodized aluminum, they could have some kind of plastic coating, which can be “overcooked.”

But we need to see the file to be sure.

I did check with the manufacturer and it is thin anodized aluminium,

I would suggest if possible to upload the file that you used to the forum.

There are lots of ways that PDFs can be created - and some of them don’t keep the fonts as vectors. And some fonts can have an issue going into the PDF format also.

1 Like

Did you either use “set focus” or manually enter a precise material height?

I used digital calipers and measuring only the thickness of the outer layer of aluminum

You need to measure the entire object or use the set focus tool, making sure the red beam falls on the object to be engraved.

I’m not very familiar with the focus tool Or the red beam so I will find info and research it now. Many thanks to all.

Set focus is under the little gear icon at the top of the web interface. Once you click it, you will get a rounded off broken square cursor that you click on the image of your object roughly center to the area you’re going to cut/engrave. The laser head will then home over there and measure the height of your object at that spot.

Pretty sure it’s the png causing the artifacting. Ditch that.

PNG is a lossless format. Any noise/artifacting would have had to have been present before the PNG conversion.

1 Like