Tube light show

I love scaled analogies like these. Really help gives a perspective on the true scale…makes it easier to visualize!

2 Likes

Abom, right? I was watching the same ones! I’ve heard of using optics before to measure flatness but never saw it done until then. I’m looking forward to watching how he makes his lapping plates out of what looks to be brass washers (if memory recalls correctly) and another one of pennies!

EDIT:
It’s OxTools instead of Abom…my bad!

2 Likes

NewScientist magazine has a whole series of measurements like this (“that machine weighed as much as 4 blue whales”) that people contribute to.

2 Likes

If the Sun was the size of a basketball, the Earth would be a pea orbiting 107 feet away. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This doesn’t quite apply here, but good to have it in the back pocket when needed.

‘As di bubbe volt gehat beytsim volt zi gevain mayn zaidah.’ :smirk:

1 Like

That was a fun learning moment!

2 Likes

Oh please, everyone knows a laser makes noise, especially when used in the vacuum of space. That something made of light, when fired from a laser gun, is slower than an arrow, is just another fact you have to accept. Also, any type of laser gun has serious accuracy issues, but they make up for it in coolness. And evil robots have glowing red eyes. These are likely to be basic survival skills necessary for the 21st century.

10 Likes

I get that – these are all important things I keep in mind when I go to Whole Foods :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Good point. You need to memorize the layout of the Whole Foods if you’re going to survive the inevitable robot stalking there.

1 Like
11 Likes

Thanks, that’s cool!

2 Likes

When I first noticed the swirling plasma I was worried too - it’s quite normal.

Conversation I once had with my dad:
Me: So trouble is “tsouris”…
Him: Right.
Me: And big trouble is “gehackte tsouris”…
Me: And liver is “laber”…
Me: And chopped liver is “gehackte laber”…
Him: I see your point.

5 Likes

Wow, I thought the distance would be much greater, but I did the math myself (with Google’s help to find the measurements) and I got a similar(ish) result. OK, what I got was only somewhat close, but I used 9.55" for the diameter of a basketball.

1 Like

Here’s a cool Ox Tools-adjacent video that @marmak3261 and @Christopher might enjoy, just in case y’all haven’t seen it yet.

Caution: video contains information possibly only suitable for “engineer types”.

2 Likes

John is really on fire! I’ve been following him for about two years now and it is just amazing what he has accomplished. He really has helped me come to a tremendous respect for the precision of the American machinist and what they have accomplished. The whole machinist YouTube community are a breed apart. You can learn so much from them all.

2 Likes

Half-way through and gotta leave, but jealous! Love this kind of stuff!!

1 Like