Tube Twister

My wife asked for something to help get the product out of her expensive hair stuff that comes in a metal squeeze tube. So I made her one. I had to donate some of my coveted green glass acrylic, but I am guessing it will be stronger than wood.

I might have made a mistake in connecting the end, but it felt like it would be stronger that way. It will just be more inconvenient to remove.

*EDIT – Here is a link to the design file.

53 Likes

Practical cuts are some of my favorites!

9 Likes

Nice, this is a great idea, does the metal tube put a lot of stress on the opening?

6 Likes

I need to make some of these for many kinds of situations. a great use of scrap too :grin:

4 Likes

I don’t think so. I didn’t really use the “key handle” to turn it. I did manage to crack the metal tube a bit. You can see it in the photo where a bit of it is coming out from the edge. I really rolled it up pretty tight. My wife said it was okay since it was past the rolled up part and she wouldn’t have gotten it out before. Happy wife. Happy life.

9 Likes

I love this!

3 Likes

My wife and daughter both use big bottles. Otherwise this would be good. Oh, toothpaste tubes!

3 Likes

I have been getting these that come with plastic pouches of sauce that I have been using tweezers for that purpose but your design would work much better :slightly_smiling_face:

These came up with birdseye frozen vegetables.

They used to sell those things. my grandparents had them.

a metal “key” for the toothpaste

Marvelous!

1 Like

Very handy indeed!

1 Like

Really nice project. This would be good for folks who struggle with their hands as well.

4 Likes

Keep the end closed for strength and make them disposable. Not much material is used, and I bet a dozen would last years.

2 Likes

I made something similar…as my husband has severe neuropathy in his hands…and this kind of thing is very helpful. Nice work!

4 Likes

They still make them - just in plastic now :wink:

4 Likes

They look stronger than the one I made.

They’re pretty tough - but then they’re injection molded ABS and thicker than 1/8”. The slotted part is round like a fat dowel. I’d bet that stacking and gluing three of your version together would be similar in size and strength.

3 Likes

wow, I hadn’t seen one in ages. thanks!

2 Likes

I have been playing with several designs for different specifics. There are many different lengths, different materials of the “tube”, etc. I have been rolling up snack wrappers (and similar) and tying them in a knot so they take less room in the trash so that is another rabbit hole…

4 Likes