Two Opendesk Valoví Chairs

How did you guy figure out the scale to use for 1/8" and/or 1/4" materials?

I did the long leg pockets and used the scaling I mentioned for everything. Looks cool!

I opened the CAD file in Aspire and resized everything down a size where the gap would be a few thousandths undersized. The gap I am speaking of is the gap where the parts slide into each other.

OpenDesk CAD design is made for 3/4" thick plywood. Which is 19mm. I measured actual size of the pocket using AutoCAD measurement tool and and it turn out to be 17.8713mm. Which is to ensure tight fit. You will notice rounded corners there for some flexing. Glowforge proofgrade material is 3.1242mm thick. If you use cardboard you need to measure it first. I used cardboard box from proofgrade. It turn out to be ~3.2mm. Coincidence or intentional? :slight_smile: Knowing your target thickness you can calculate scaling ratio. In my case - 3.1242 / 17.8713 = 0.1748. I used AutoCAD Modify -> Scale function and entered ratio there. Used custom 11’x20’ layout with 1:1 scale to produce PDF straight from autocad. It is important to use 1:1 scale when you print. Otherwise, Autocad would use scale to fit and it would ruin everything. PDF works the same way as SVG. You can upload it to glowforge directly. No need to convert to SVG.

2 Likes

Did you engrave the pockets? They not supposed to be cut, right?

1/8 draftboard is a natural 1/6 scale for modeling 3/4" ply furniture. I’m looking forward to trying this out.

2 Likes

I cut all the lines and it goes together great.

Interestingly, it appears that they’ve modified the downloadable design. The back and seat are no longer concave.

1 Like