Ugly proofgrade

Guys, my proofgrade solid oak isn’t looking so proofgrade. I noticed a few splits in the end, so I peeled back the mask, and the split continues through the board. I didn’t peel the whole masking off, but the split appears to run the whole length. I feel like if it bends at all, it’s just going to bust in two. Is this normal for oak, as this board has more than one noticeable split? (I photographed the worst one) The rest of my hardwoods are great and I love working with them. This one arrived a little more curved than the rest, but didn’t think anything of it until today, when I pulled it out for a possible project.

1 Like

The Red Oak has a pretty crazy (awesome) and intense feel going on, but the pieces I’ve got have still all been solid (definitely has more warp than the others, though, as you said). I’m guessing :glowforge: won’t be happy that you got a piece that looked like that, and they’ll help you out.

1 Like

I wondered if the oak was naturally more warpy than the others, glad to hear it’s still solid though, this one definitely isn’t…the crack runs all the way through to the other end.

Thank you for letting us know about this! I’m so sorry the Proofgrade you received had this split. I’ve added credit to your account so you can replace this sheet. I’ll pass your feedback along - thanks again.

1 Like