UI Change?

So I got my warranty replacement Pro unit and am testing it, but I’m running into something that I’m not sure if is by design or a glitch…

Previous to the warranty swap out I was able to set the lines per inch manually to any number I wanted to enter (eg, 169). Now I seem to be limited to the selections in the drop down.

Second, when setting the DPI previously, I could see what the setting was numerically, not just guess with the sliding graphical scale. Being able to select precisely the dpi setting I’ve used previously or know for sure how much I’m moving it while prototyping was very useful. The graphic-only thing I’m seeing now isn’t.

Are these intentional changes to the UI? If so, I’d like to request them to be reversed… at least the DPI numeric equivalence for the scale.

Thanks,
Jeff

1 Like

No idea why you were able to input LPI manually. I’ve never been able to do so - not sure of anyone else that has been able to either. The LPI is a function of steps through the steppers, so it’s not infinitely adjustable to that degree.

As for the DPI mention, I assume you mean the dot pattern/density when engraving?

This is how mine shows:

Weird… I was able to enter 169lpi… maybe the GF was ignoring that and using 125 or 195 anyway, but I definitely have notes saying I was using 169.

1 Like

Yes. I’m not seeing the numeric equivalent under the slider

The Draft Photo value is 169 LPI for the plywoods I think. (Use the slider to see more LPI choices, up and down.)

Ahhh, ok… I did switch to draftboard for my test, so that may be it… glitch is me on that then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s odd, but the choice of 169 LPI isn’t offered on all of the preset settings. (And it’s a good setting for small photo engraves. I’ve used it myself.)

But it’s not offered on the Draftboard slider. Maybe it works better on the prefinished woods.

1 Like

That in itself might be worth reporting. Can’t say that I’ve ever noticed. Could be a reason or could be a simple oversight and something was forgotten or commented out of the code.

1 Like

If you aren’t seeing the numeric indicators after moving the slider, I have no idea… Support will probably want to know full browser information (whatismybrowser.com).

1 Like

Also just noticed that new unit doesn’t appear to be cutting square. Decided I wanted to try a second version of the engrave I just did and was going to just flip the 8x10 cut over and place it in the space it came from… won’t go back in.

1 Like

Upon closer review, I do have the number for the dot pattern density… but it only appears when the pointer is directly over the top of it so it’s almost entirely covered. The only way I can see it is to click on the slider and then move the pointer down before moving it side to side. It would make more sense for the density number to be off to the side so that it isn’t covered by the pointer.

Video:

1 Like

I’m so sorry it took us so long to reply. Thanks for letting us know about this. @jbmanning5 is correct - LPI and DPI are only controlled with the dropdown options or sliders, as mentioned.

Regarding the angle consistency of square cuts, could you try the following first?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Using both hands, gently slide the laser arm all the way to the front of the unit, then all the way to the back of the unit. Note any points of resistance or bumping.
  3. If you find anything that might be the cause of the bumping, take a photo of it and attach it to your reply.

Let me know how it goes!

The issue about non-square cuts was also addressed in the thread regarding my original issue (banding in photo engraves). After going through the steps there multiple times, I’ve been able to bring things to what seems to be an acceptable tolerance, though still not as good as my original unit. I can now flip rectangles and they will fit back into the cut out… tightly, indicating that I’m still off square by some portion of the kerf.

2 Likes

I’m glad you can flip the squares now. I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs or if you learn more and what to share, please post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!