Un-warping a stack of plywood

So I had purchased a couple sheets of 4 by 8 Baltic birch plywood which I had cut down to size for the machine. I didn’t realize until afterwards that some of them are a little bit warped. I have been storing them all flat and was thinking applying some moisture to them would fix them. Any tips or tricks on this? Should I stack them all on top of each other once moistened? How long does it take for it to be fixed? Haha thanks guys.

:wink:

5 Likes

Hi Jeremy,
I cut mainly Baltic birch on my scroll saw. I got some 1/8 inch that I was making18x7 pencils that warped really bad. I got them moist, stacked them on top of each other and put a board on top, and placed heavy bricks evenly across the top. I let it sit for a week or so, and they were fine. Lisa H

3 Likes

Ha! That’s a new one to me.

1 Like

I just had an idea that i think would work well. getting two scrap pieces of granite counter top from a countertop company that are around the size of the glowforge bed and putting the BB in between them to flatten. They are typically very flat and heavy enough to flatten.

3 Likes

I have some warped plywood (and some proofgrade, actually) that is 1/8 thick. I’m lazy, so I actually just tape it flat to the crumb tray. Then, when I glue my layers together, I flatten it all under a couple of books or use lots of clamps. That has flattened everything out nicely so far.

2 Likes

No good with big sheets, but I’ve taken warped chipboard from Hobby Lobby AND warped hardwoods from Inventables, and placed them in a stack of acrylic for flattening.