Unexpected error trying to print a fingerprint

I keep getting the “unexpected error” with the attached file. What do I need to do to get this to work? My only guess to the problem is that it’s a medium size svg (~325kb) and just needs to be smaller.

(removed)

cut, score, or engrave? I would rasterized the image to engrave.

It won’t even upload.

Asset%201

I rasterized in Illustrator, and the bitmap loaded in just fine. I’m not sure why the GF didn’t like the SVG, but for engraving, I find that bitmaps are generally easier to process in the GF, since it ends up rasterizing the SVG anyway to print it, and rasterizing in Illustrator is under my control, while rasterizing in the GF runs into issues with very complex SVG’s. Simple SVG’s are no problem on the GF. And the fingerprint is a pretty complex SVG…

2 Likes

Simplified at 100% which removed roughly half the points, then made into a compound path.

It loads into GF with no issues and no warnings. I made it blue to let you differentiate from the original.

fingerprint%20simplified

4 Likes

This is always a good solution with vectors that are like this.

Also, I haven’t looked at the file, I’m guessing you are engraving it - I bet it has a ton of open paths?

This is cool.
We can all use your phone now…
Just joking. <- (folks cannot see the grin when typing).
Glad you got some fixes for this issue.

4 Likes

Unexpectd error trying to print a fingerprint

Hope its not your’s. Even a fake print may lead to the most unlikely. Too much uncertainty with regard to collection and tracking.

thanks all for the input & feedback. I think the problem was just too many objects/anchors. (I really wish there were guidelines for this)

What ended up working best was to expand the object paths by just a smidge, and then merge the objects. This got rid of the teeny objects that would never be perceivable and the GF was able to handle it without issue.

4 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread - if you run into any other trouble, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!