Unit Offline, won't calibrate

Unfortunately not. I do have a wifi adapter for my laptop that I can put in to promiscuous mode to sniff wifi traffic, but it’s at my office, where my glowforge is not. I’ll probably bring it home this evening so I can sniff it’s traffic

Do you have multiple subnets at home? You mentioned earlier that you have three WiFi access points; are they all issuing addresses on the same typical 192.168.xxx.yyy range?

I think I’d rather see him eliminate the home network entirely. Can you hotspot your phone and test that?

1 Like

Back to basics here. Have you tried another browser for the setup page?

3 Likes

Already tried that, had the exact same results.

I’ve tried Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, and also chrome and safari on my phone. All have the exact same results.

2 Likes

Interesting. During the setup, the unit is in ad-hoc mode. The configuration happens between the browser and the unit. After this, it connects up to the Glowforge ‘Cloud’.

The only issues during that setup (from personal experience) have been 5Ghz bands (as it only supports 2.4Ghz) WPA2 Enterprise (does not support it) IPv6 address (does not support it- Well it 'crashes and reboots) and a browser crapping out or a plug-in being blocked or just crashing.

Sounds like you’re going to have to wait for support to dive in deeper.

2 Likes

Okay… Everything you’re saying makes perfect sense. Just so you know, I have never seen another user post the screenshot you posted in the OP.

That said… What about another WAP. Say, your phone. If your phone gets a good data signal in your GF room, try creating a hotspot and connect your 'forge to that and see what happens.

I’ve tried that, same result. I just got a VM working and set it up to be an Access Point with a USB wireless card, and connected to the Internet via a wired (my host’s) interface. This way I can man-in-the-middle my glow forge and see what traffic it’s sending. About to head home and give that a shot. If the traffic between the device and Glowforge’s servers are encrypted I won’t be able to see very much, except that there is some sort of communications, and how fast it is to “give up”

Was hoping to get this fixed by the weekend, but the one post from Rita above was all I’ve seen from GF support.

2 Likes

Sure. Give it a try.

Keep in mind a couple of things that might matter in your environment…

1. I’m pretty sure the :glowforge: only handles 2.4GHz. (At least it has never seen my 5GHz SSID.)
  2. You only need it to have an internet connection. There’s 0 benefit to it having access to your LAN.
  3. You might want to simplify what you’re said above… Forget the man-in-the-middle and just try a straight shot to your hotspot. But I think you’re saying you already did try that. If so, then I think something’s wrong with the WNIC in the 'forge.

Just suggestions. :slight_smile:

I understand you’ve only gotten 1 Staff reply at this point, but I don’t think they’ll have anything additional to offer beyond what the rest of us have suggested. Every test you’re doing will, I’m sure, be evaluated by Staff in order to ultimately resolve your issue.

Looking forward to hearing your results!

I honestly suspect there’s something wrong with the registration between my “cloud account” and the :glowforge: I’d love to be able to just delete the Glowforge device in my account on app.glowforge.com and try to re-add it. Doesn’t look like that’s an option though. Okay, headed home to go down the rabbit hole.

2 Likes

I’m not 100% certain, but I don’t think it’s the account. However, Support can delete any and all devices from your account. I think you’ll want to explicitly ask for that here in this thread or shoot them an e-mail to request that they disassociate all machines from your account.

Which reminds me… They had to replace my unit and the old one is till attached to my account. I need to ask them to delete it.

Would be funny if you could still attach to it and see it being tested in a lab somewhere.

1 Like

Welp… I got home, turned the darn thing on, and it’s working. :man_shrugging: I really hate stuff like this.

10 Likes

:smile: Happens a lot more than you think. (They’re still tweaking a lot of stuff behind the scenes. I got some much nicer sounds out of mine halfway through a project this afternoon.)

1 Like