Unread (603)!

I’m almost afraid to admit that my unread count didn’t change at all when I tried @Jules modifications. So I set everything back to keep my notification dot from wearing out. Granted, I do have topics that I’ve muted because they had nothing to do with lasers, but, not enough that I’m worried about my status.

2 Likes

I never thought I was OCD but it kept bothering me all day that I had topics that were unread after @Jules mentioned the way to see them all. Ufta, after a lot of scrolling and looking at blue dots, I’m afraid to say I’ve wasted my day and no longer have any unread topics! Now feel like I can contribute more to new topics!

6 Likes

Ditto. But I left the setting the way she had it.

it’s not a great idea to get too bogged down in the minutiae of discussions. if you think these forums are busy now, they’re likely going to be much worse when people actually start getting lasers.

3 Likes

I am at 749 now. They go pretty fast when reading because lots of them are very short. I will be glad when I am finished, because that way I can coast and only have the current ones, at least until we hear some “news” that gets everyone all riled up again. :relieved:

4 Likes

Just got caught up with reading all posts. I’m seeing 74.3K read. Is that the number that everyone else who has read all sees, or do I need to flip some settings switches to see more?

Probably. Says 74.4K but just finished my morning catchup.

3 Likes

Well it seems that a lot of the 600 unread ones are threads that I did read a lot of but for some reason I stopped getting them listed as unread. When I look at them now I start half way though and see there were a lot more posts after I had stopped seeing them. Some go back to April!

It seems I have been living in a Discourse bubble that made the forum seem a much smaller place than it actually is. I only have 30.1k posts read, so a lot of catching up to do! My GlowForge might actually arrive first, but probably not.

1 Like

I’ve got exactly the same thing, but far worse as I’ve still got over 1200 unread :frowning:

I hope by the end of the month to be caught up, maybe :scream:

Did you change some settings or is it a forum glitch?

Hah! I’m on 984!

Seems like a forum bug to me. One day I was all caught up and then the next day I had 600 unread that go back as far as April. Do I need to read all of those to get regular status back? Was it due to me changing my settings a few days before or was there a forum glitch? Can I just change them back?

1 Like

Has to do with how you have your Category Header settings set, and what Discourse reports on as a result.

Those seem to just affect the notification list that appears on my icon. It doesn’t change the unread totals.

1 Like

I’m afraid I don’t know what to tell you. It’s explained in that PM I linked you to. (Video and everything.)

My count has suddenly jumped for 550 ish to 759 a few minutes ago. I think Discourse is broken.

People say how Glowforge is going to save them time compared to a Chinese laser because of the smoother workflow. I don’t think I will ever get back the time I have spent trying to keep up with this forum!

6 Likes

Yup! Just wanted to see if it could be done. (Mainly wanted to get a feel for the forum as well, and underwent a radical shift of thought as a result.) :astonished:

I am wondering where the other ten thousand posts are that I can’t see…but not enough to go looking for them. :smirk:

3 Likes

I think someone mentioned the higher up in this thread somewhere that it may or may not count the posts in topics you’ve created in your total read, but perhaps it just didn’t count your own posts in the total. I know you’ve created a lot of posts in your time on this forum…

3 Likes

Oh, no that would be impossible…not ten thousand posts…no…jeez, I’ve got to go look now…

Whew…only 3,300…not even as many as @dan … of course, on a per diem basis, I’m afraid i (used to) blast everyone out of the water…

(Trying to cut back a little.) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes