Unresponsive GF Pro

My Pro will not move or calibrate upon turning on.

It was successfully being used daily for a long time for a CAD class. Today I was using a very slow speed and it was burning the wood too much, so I attempted to cancel the job via web GUI. It said “cancelling” but never stopped. The ash smell was getting strong, so I stopped the job by gently lifting the lid. Upon lifting the lid, the laser stopped and went to the home position. The user interface did not change from cancelling.

An hour later the user interface claimed calibration, but again nothing was moving. I power cycled the machine. The user interface now reads “offline” and nothing has changed on the hardware.

I have tried to power cycle it many time, waiting different periods of time in between. The laser head never moves to calibrate and the interface always says offline. I can get the machine back into Wifi broadcasting mode and see the GF network, and also connect to it. After connecting to it and selecting the wifi network for it to use, it gets an unexpected error.

I have attempted to manually gently move the head to the center under the camera, but it seems to have no effect.

Please advise on how to getit back to normal.

It sounds network related. When was the last time you rebooted your router?

I’d reboot the pc and router and try going through WiFi setup again.

2 Likes

Any luck? Or no time to try yet?

I’ve had to reboot my router twice in the past week or so for Glowforge calibration purposes… before that, I hadn’t had to do it once. This last time, at least half of my stuff wouldn’t make a connection. Both printers, Glowforge, lightbulbs, etc. Laptop and Alexa were good though!

1 Like

Thanks guys. It’s a school machine. Can’t get to it until Monday. Glad to hear it is something easy. I was afraid because it doesn’t even move to calibrate when it powers on.

That’s actually a little hint from the machine. An instruction from the cloud turns the button white and then the head moves. The calibration command(s) come from the cloud. So doing nothing is an indicator of a network connection issue. It’s not definitive - but gives an idea where to look.

2 Likes

As @evansd2 and @jbmanning5 said, it sounds like you’re having some Wi-Fi reliability issues. I just extracted the logs for your unit, and it appears that you’ve made some progress this morning. Would you let us know if you have more questions?

Thank you everyone. The WiFi was the issue and it turns out that the NYC Dept of Education recently blocked the glowforge app and setup sites as malicious. I used a VPN to access the app and synced the unit temporarily to my phone hotspot.

I’ll be filing a request with the NYC Delt of Infotech to unblock the site. It’s ridiculous!

3 Likes

Is there thoughts on establishing a way to route traffic through a VPN or some sort of online proxy?

I’m very sorry for the delay.

While I can’t advise on how to configure your VPN, I can tell you which ports and domains you’ll need access to.

To use your Glowforge, you will need access to: *.glowforge.com. (If wildcards aren’t an option, the current list includes: app.glowforge.com, catalog.glowforge.com, setup.glowforge.com, status.glowforge.com, and store.glowforge.com.) As well as accounts.google.com and *.googleapis.com. Your Glowforge communicates with thes domains on ports 80 and 443, for http and https traffic, as well as websockets. Additionally 0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org, 2.pool.ntp.org, 3.pool.ntp.org on port 123 using UDP.

I’m going to close this thread - if you have any further questions, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for asking us about this!