Upload SVG with API

Hello,

I see a number of posts in the forum from a couple of years ago, but nothing recently. Is there any way of uploading an svg from my computer with an API call? Or any other way of uploading a file programmatically without going through GF’s dashboard. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Sadly, no. It would be great if there were. The only way currently would be reverse engineering, which we’re not allowed to talk about here.

1 Like

Is there a reason why you want to do that?

Like the dashboard isn’t bad, but the GFUI is a lock. Are you referring to the UI, not the dash?

Like if you want to skip the dash, you could bookmark the new document link:

https://app.glowforge.com/designs/new

Then drag the svg onto it, but you’re still going to use the GFUI to handle all the settings and alignment.

Mkay, that’s what I figured. It’s not an issue with the ui, which is great. I’m doing some custom stuff with vector files and want to include a “print to GF” button that would open the design ready to cut with one click.

2 Likes

It’s never been on the roadmap. This was a while ago, but pretty definitive, and nothing’s changed:

I so wish there was - I would right an inkscape plugin for it this week if there was.

It is so frustrating because I’m pretty sure there is one already, I’m guessing they have defined an API for the UI on the various platforms (jeez, I hope they have in fact - if they haven’t I despair about the software process they are using).

There are some really smart people on this side of the glowforge fence who could generate some really cool plugins, generators and new user apps if the API was available.

@dan - if you are reading this - and especially at this lockdown time - would you reconsider putting some documentation out there?

Please, an API we could use in place of the UI, still going through the cloud etc.

1 Like

That’s an entirely different definition of API — that person was asking for local access to the machine.

The question here is for access to a cloud service to upload files. Like I said, it could be trivially done by looking at what the web browser does when you upload a file and replicating that process, but there’s a big difference between a reverse engineered hack and a supported API.