Urgent: Material thickness problem/not a problem

I’m getting this error message:

Material thickness

Your material must be less than 0.5” tall with the tray in, or between 1.5” and 2” with the tray out.

Well, I’ve got a specially made jig that brings the parts I want to engrave up to the right height, and it worked several times before this morning, but now, I’m getting an error message. What gives? Can any one help? I need to get this sorted out today.

Make sure that the little red dot that falls to the left of the beam when the machine is taking it’s measurement is falling on a part of the item to be engraved, and not off the edge.

You’ll need to watch the machine in action closely to see it hit. (It happens after you hit the Print button, but before the Start button on the machine lights up.) If the red dot is falling off the edge, stick a piece of paper masking tape onto your item and extend the tape out to the side so that the beam hits on it instead of falling off the edge.

8 Likes

I will try this.

Thanks for the help, @Jules! I’m sorry for my late reply here. I was taking a look into the logs from those prints so I could help, and I noticed that you were able to print successfully since your last comment. Are you still having trouble with this, or did that suggestion help resolve it? Please let me know.

I was printing in a fixture that held four items. The laser wouldn’t let me print when only one item was in the fixture (with 3 placeholder blanks), but when I put four items in, it printed. The objects were translucent. Thoughts?

It’s because of what @Jules said up above. If the red focus laser ends up shining into a hole instead of onto the surface of your material, it confuses the GF.

2 Likes

It looks like you’ve setup the jig such that the material you’re engraving upon is in the correct range.

However, sometimes the red scanning laser doesn’t hit the objecting being engraved, and instead hits the surface of the jig.

In those cases, it appears the jig is about 0.1 inches below the minimum surface level.

If you raised your jig up just 0.15 or 0.2 inches higher, you should not see that error.

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs (after raising the jig), go ahead and post a new topic, and we’ll be happy to check it out.

1 Like