Using HP Laptop - Glowforge shows Time remaining on GUI, but project is finished

Have owned the Glowforge for almost a year now. It has been working excellent with just a few simple issue we have been able to troubleshoot ourselves. However, we have a strange issue, that may not actually be the Glowforge, but maybe an interface issue. We have the Glowforge connected to a HP laptop, all WiFi. We have had zero issues and it has been in this configuration since we took the Glowgforge out of the box. Over the past couple of months, the countdown time in the GUI does not keep pace with the Glowforge. For example, if we send a project to the Glowforge that says it will take 18 minutes to cut, the GF will cut the project, return to the home position and go into the power mode (lights dim, fan speed reduces, etc.). The project turns out just fine, but the GUI may still show 3, 4, 6 (not these exact times) random time remaining. We thought this was a cleanliness issue, so we did a deep clean of the GF, making it sparkle like new. However, the first cut after the cleaning, the GUI countdown, time remaining was off again. We have made sure we updated our computer software and drivers, accepted any and all Microsoft Updates, but this has not solved the issue.

Ideas?

1 Like

The Glowforge doesn’t connect to your PC directly. The Glowforge connects to the GF servers which then pass the information to your PC. I suspect that what is happening is your WiFi is having problems.

Updating your PC will likely not affect this behavior as it is probably due to the network connection. If I were experiencing this behavior, which is not an issue, but a behavior that is different than you expect, I would shut down my network completely and then start devices up starting at the wall, where your internal network connects to your internet service provider. Then move out toward the clients, with the Glowforge being the first client I would start up, then other clients. If the issue persists, you may be looking at network interference from other sources and you may not be able to resolve it.

2 Likes

I have an HP too, at times I was having the same issues, my timer would either finish earlier or later but only by a couple of seconds. I think it depended on the signal strength at the time so I put in signal boosters about a year ago and haven’t had any issue since. I don’t think there really is a problem either way, to me just a nuisance…

Hi @five92shop. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been running into an issue with the Glowforge app showing time remaining on a print project after it has actually completed. I extracted the log files from your Glowforge and didn’t see anything indicative of any technical issues with the unit itself. I also checked with my Senior team members and forwarded this information to them for further investigation.

Since this has not resulted in any unexpected print results or print failures, you should be good to continue printing. However, if you notice it getting any worse, or affecting your ability to run projects, feel free to send us any design file that experienced the trouble, along with the results of the steps below:

1. Go to https://www.whatismybrowser.com/
  2. Look for the header that says “Your web browser’s unique URL”
  3. Click the button that says “Copy URL to Clipboard”
  4. Reply to this, and paste in the link provided

I apologize for any inconvenience with this, and let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.